cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

openssh-SSH Tru64 3.2.0 compatibility problem

Giovanni Caramia
Occasional Visitor

openssh-SSH Tru64 3.2.0 compatibility problem

I have installed OpenSSH_3.8p1 on a Linux server but when I try to connect from the Tru64 machine to the Linux server the connection fails. Here are some details:

ssh -vv linux_server

debug: Connecting to linux_server, port 22... (SOCKS not used)
debug: Ssh2/ssh2.c:2332: Entering event loop.
debug: Ssh2Client/sshclient.c:1452: Creating transport protocol.
debug: SshAuthMethodClient/sshauthmethodc.c:95: Added "password" to usable methods.
debug: Ssh2Client/sshclient.c:1493: Creating userauth protocol.
debug: client supports 1 auth methods: 'password'
debug: SshUnixTcp/sshunixtcp.c:1227: using local hostname Tru64_machine
debug: Ssh2Common/sshcommon.c:541: local ip = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, local port = 1211
debug: Ssh2Common/sshcommon.c:543: remote ip = yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy, remote port = 22
debug: SshConnection/sshconn.c:1957: Wrapping...
debug: SshReadLine/sshreadline.c:3388: Initializing ReadLine...
debug: Remote version: SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.8p1
debug: OpenSSH: Major: 3 Minor: 8 Revision: 0
debug: Ssh2Transport/trcommon.c:1530: All versions of OpenSSH handle kex guesses incorrectly.
debug: Ssh2Transport/trcommon.c:1913: lang s to c: `', lang c to s: `'
debug: Ssh2Transport/trcommon.c:1978: c_to_s: cipher aes128-cbc, mac hmac-sha1, compression none
debug: Ssh2Transport/trcommon.c:1981: s_to_c: cipher aes128-cbc, mac hmac-sha1, compression none
debug: Remote host key found from database.
debug: Ssh2Common/sshcommon.c:342: Received SSH_CROSS_STARTUP packet from connection protocol.
debug: Ssh2Common/sshcommon.c:392: Received SSH_CROSS_ALGORITHMS packet from connection protocol.
debug: server offers auth methods 'publickey,keyboard-interactive'.
debug: Ssh2Common/sshcommon.c:180: DISCONNECT received: No further authentication methods available.
debug: SshReadLine/sshreadline.c:3454: Uninitializing ReadLine...
warning: Authentication failed.
debug: Ssh2/ssh2.c:184: locally_generated = TRUE
Disconnected; no more authentication methods available (No further authentication methods available.).
debug: Ssh2Client/sshclient.c:1528: Destroying client.
debug: SshConfig/sshconfig.c:2330: Freeing pki. (host_pki != NULL, user_pki = NULL)
debug: SshConnection/sshconn.c:2009: Destroying SshConn object.
debug: Ssh2Client/sshclient.c:1596: Destroying client completed.
debug: SshAuthMethodClient/sshauthmethodc.c:100: Destroying authentication method array.
debug: SshAppCommon/sshappcommon.c:198: Freeing global SshRegex context.
debug: SshConfig/sshconfig.c:2330: Freeing pki. (host_pki = NULL, user_pki = NULL)

Thanks in advance, Giovanni
5 REPLIES
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: openssh-SSH Tru64 3.2.0 compatibility problem

Configuring some options (that I can't remember which ones and I don't have access to them) we gained the ability to run ssh from linux to tru and viceversa. But we couldn't ever use scp. So, unless you have a good answer for this topic, you should consider installing openssh also on the tru64 for use with linux.

See this thread also:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=604250
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

Ivan,

If the version of Tru64 is V5.1B then you'd have a problem installing OpenSSH on it because the version that comes with the OS (SSH.COM) is a required subset. You can't delete it.

Also, the reason scp doesn't work from OpenSSH to Tru64 is because it's expecting version 1 protocol. I don't remeber how we did it but we got /usr/bin/scp1 installed on our Tru64 system and scp now works.

Giovanni,
On the Tru64 system did you look at the logs in the /var/adm/syslog.dated/current/ directories for any information. I think the log to look at is auth.log. You may want to consider running sshd in verbose mode as well.

On your Tru64 system what does you sshd_config file say for AllowedAuthentications? On our it says:
hostbased,publickey,password

Vic
There are 10 kinds of people, one that understands binary and one that doesn't.
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

Giovanni,

Are you sure you have the same authentication method(s) set up on both systems?

Have you tried setting up other authentication methods?

Ann
Aco Blazeski
Regular Advisor

Agree with Victor's reply:

On our system (5.1A which has commercial ssh installed) I've copied scp1 from another Tru64 system which had OpenSSH on it.

This solves the problem with scp usage between OpenSSH and commercial SSH.

And so far, I don't remember to have problem with ssh between Linux and Tru64.

Regards
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

You people are aware that using SSHv1 (scp1, etc) is very close to using cipher=none?

OpenSSH denies Your connections because SSHv1 is deprecated for something like three years now.

Compiling OpenSSH to somewhere in /usr/local/bin takes less than two hours of work, just go ahead and do it.
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.