5615 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: rlogin entries in inetd.conf - Vulnerability

sapoguheman
Frequent Advisor

rlogin entries in inetd.conf - Vulnerability

Hi All,

My security team has raised a concern reagring the rlogin entry in the inetd.conf and asked me to hash stop the service.

I dont have any rhosts or hosts.equiv files on my server .

My Question is :

1. I have rlogin entry in inetd.conf file but dont have  rhosts or hosts.equiv will rlogin still work or could it be still considered as rlogin as vulnerable.

Thanks In advance

9 REPLIES 9
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

>> will rlogin still work or could it be still considered as rlogin as vulnerable.

Absolutely yes, 100% of the so-called 'r' commands (rlogin, remsh, rexec and rcp) are NOT secure since the passwords are sent without encryption. The lack of .rhosts and hosts.equiv means that rlogin will ask you for the password first, then log you in but the 'r' commands still work.

However the passwords will be transmitted in plain text so any network trace can see them. For this reason, all Unix systems should disable telnet, ftp and the 'r' commands, and use nothing but ssh and scp.

In inetd.conf, these lines should be commented:

#  login        stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/lbin/rlogind  rlogind
#  shell        stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/lbin/remshd   remshd
#  exec         stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/lbin/rexecd   rexecd

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
RJHall
Frequent Advisor

You can also make sure the r* commands remain blocked with the inetd.sec(4) file. For example:

$ cat /var/adm/inetd.sec
login deny exec deny shell deny

and so forth...

sapoguheman
Frequent Advisor

Hi Bill,

Can i get any supporting documents for the same .

Thanks

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

>> Can i get any supporting documents for the same.

I am very unclear about your question.

Do you need documents about how edit the inetd.conf file?

Or how to signal the changes in inetd.conf?

Or how rlogin/rexec/remsh work?

Or somethng stating that the 'r' commands transmit unexncrypted passwords?

Or that telnet and ftp have the same vulnerability?

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
sapoguheman
Frequent Advisor

I need some supporting documents which mentions even keeping rlogin entry in inetd.conf is vulnerable even though it doesnt have ant rhosts / hosts.equiv files.

I tried on few servers where rhosts / hosts.equiv files are not present but still am able to login from root to root with passord for fews server and on some servers it doesnt works.

Thanks

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

How about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rlogin

If you are concerned about security, disabling rlogin is a miniscule step towards reducing system vulnerabilities.

Why are you using rlogin rather than telnet?

But more important, why are you not using ssh?

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

>> I tried on few servers where rhosts / hosts.equiv files are not present but still am able to login from root to root with passord for fews server and on some servers it doesnt works.

...doesn't work...

That is not helpful to determine the problem. "Some servers don't work" could mean that the servers are dead, or that rlogind is not enabled. The .rhosts and hosts.equiv files simply allow login without having to type a password. The password that you type using rlogin is visible to anyone looking at your network traffic.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
sapoguheman
Frequent Advisor

I am using ssh.

I wanted to justify few teams that even keeping rlogin entry in inetd.conf is vulnerable .

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

>> I wanted to justify few teams that even keeping rlogin entry in inetd.conf is vulnerable .

Keeping rlogin in inetd.conf isn't the issue. Using rlogin is the problem. You stop users from running rlogin (and rcp and remsh and rexec and telneet and ftp) by turning off the daemons in inetd.conf. Most data centers forbid the use of these services. And good Unix auditors will write findings when these services are discovered.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin