Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMU & SSH

mrogozinski
Occasional Visitor

CMU & SSH

Will all CMU functionality be available if the root user has a non-empty SSH passphrase?  For example, after I created a set of keys with a passphrase, multiple CMU options no longer work because the passphrase needs to be entered.  I tried running an ssh-agent to handle the authentication, but I do not know if CMU can communicate with the agent through Java.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES
Highlighted

Re: CMU & SSH

Hello,

No, CMU will not work if the root account requires a password or passphrase when using ssh between nodes. Several components in CMU expect to be able to ssh without a password, such as monitoring and pdsh support.

Can you tell us what problem you are trying to solve by adding a passphrase to ssh on a CMU cluster?

Thanks,

--Chris

mrogozinski
Occasional Visitor

Re: CMU & SSH

Chris,

There was no problem that I was trying to solve by creating a set of keys with a non-empty passphrase.  I was trying to "harden" the system from a security perspective, although I do realize that there are other and better ways to protect super-user access.  Thanks for the response, and I will restore the enmpty keys!

Thanks,

. michael