3637 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G4 Cluster with MSA500

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jason Wisecup

DL380 G4 Cluster with MSA500

Ok guys, I have a severe need to run a redundant exchange server setup. What i am wondering is if this product will allow me to do so. Any information would be a HUGE help, thanks in advance!
7 REPLIES 7
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

This setup would effectively run a small exchange implementation. I would not try to run an enterprise level exchange infrastructure on DL380's and an MSA500, but it should work find for Workgroup/Departmental level's.

For additional redundancy, you should get the Redundancy kit for the MSA which gives you HBA and MSA Controller redundancy as well as the standard server redundancy.

Opting for the MSA1000, you will get better performance (or should), but at the extended cost of the fibre components.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Jason Wisecup

Thanks for the info Steven. Does Microsoft allow active-active clustering with Exchange on such a server? Now i'm not talking about spreading my exchange enviroment over the cluster but more over making one server redundant of the other. Thanks again!
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Jason:

Active/Active Clustering is allowed by MSCS, but that simply means that you have 2 virtual servers, both hosting different Storage Groups on seperate shared storage.

Just having a clustered environment gives you redundancy for your servers (Active/Passive). If your active server goes down, the passive takes over.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Jason Wisecup

Ok, so does microsoft natively support the two servers working together as an active/passive cluster? Or will I need a third party piece of software to have to the servers switch which one is running the data at the moment? Thanks again Steven!
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

All built into MSCS and Exchange.

SC
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You will need Windows 2000 Advanced or Windows Server 2003 Enterprise though. Slightly mre money, only minimal inclusion of extra features.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Jason Wisecup

Thank you very much Steven. You assistance has been much appreciated. P.S. already got enterprise 2003 server and exchange, THANKS!