108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 Packaged Cluster - MSA500G2 for Oracle 10g

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sven Kapp

DL380 Packaged Cluster - MSA500G2 for Oracle 10g

Hi,
I was wondering if the following configuration can be fulfilled (also make sence ;-) ) with a DL380 Packaged Cluster - MSA500G2 with 6 Disks.
4xDisks in a Raid5 (with hotspare)
and
2xDisks in a Raid1
I plan a Oracle RAC installation where I want to have the ArchiveLogs on seperate harddisks because of performance.
As by now I couldn't find informations if it's possible to have multiple raid sets.
Maybe someone already configured such a system or can give some information (also if I'm completly wrong :-) )
Thanx in advanced.

Sven
2 REPLIES 2
Mark Frederickson_3
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Re: DL380 Packaged Cluster - MSA500G2 for Oracle 10g

Sven,
I would be better off putting redo & rollback logs on isolated, mirrored disks. The archive logs are simply sequential, write only during normal processing. As a rule of thumb with Oracle, the more spindles the better. You might be interested in the following whitepaper, while quite old, the principles still hold true today.

http://www.lifeaftercoffee.com/downloads/oracle_ofa_whitepapaer.pdf
Sven Kapp

Re: DL380 Packaged Cluster - MSA500G2 for Oracle 10g

Thank you Mark,
the Document will answer a lot of my questions. What I want to know reagarding the DL380 Packaged Cluster - MSA500G2 is concerning the I/O Load. I want two (or more) Raid sets to have the control on which Disks the Mountpoint for the different Oracle files are located. For example I have two disks on a single machine for Oracle Datafiles. My understanding is to make for each Disk a Mountpoint and try to split the Tables with extensive I/O on different Disks to get better performance. Now i want to addapt that to the MSA500 with two RAID5 sets. As I'm not to familiar with that HW I was wondering if that is possible on general. I don't know if it has a lot of effect to the performance.

Sven