Server Clustering
1748094 Members
6112 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 Packaged Cluster

colinehill

DL380 Packaged Cluster

Is anyone else having problems saving/deleting to a packaged cluster? We are getting long waits before saves fail, or long waits before deletions fail.

The servers are running W2K SP3.

Any help appreciated!!
7 REPLIES 7
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

There aren't any specific problems that i know of. Did this problem just start to occur? If so, did you make any system changes just prior? Have you tried updating the MSA500 storage RAID Controller firmware? Are you doing the saving/deleting from one of the server nodes, or from a client connected over a LAN?

Just some thoughts.....

Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
colinehill

The problems occur when we connect from a client over the LAN e.g. saving/deleting office files, and it appears to be XP clients having the problem.......

No, we haven't updated the firmware. I wanted to see if anyone was having a similar issue before requesting downtime to patch the cluster (after backing it up first!!).

Cheers
Andy McCreath
Frequent Advisor

Assuming the obvious, but the Virtual node has been given a static IP address hasn't it?
When you fail over using DCHP the V.Node picks up a new adress, thus causing XP clients to attempt a round robin through DNS until they re-boot & clear their cache of named hosts, some work, most don't....
www.kimberly-clark.com
colinehill

All IP addresses are static and our domain is still NT4.0.

The fail to save/delete doesn't occur all the time. It only occurs when you really don't want it to........If you fail to save then (It times out) it actually saves a file which you cannot open and cannot re-save over the top of it. You have to delete and try saving again (thats if you can delete....).
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

sounds like a network problem, not specifically a cluster problem.
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Sarah_32
Occasional Advisor

Is this within an application that you are trying to save files? ie word or excel or is it a straight forward save to a folder on the cluster disk itself?
colinehill

Within Word and Excel the saves occur. It doesn't occur if it is a file move or copy.

The deletions occur outside the applications.

NT and W2K clients don't seem to have a problem (Well, there has been no reported cases......)