7390 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 packaged cluster and Oracle RAC

SOLVED
Go to solution

DL380 packaged cluster and Oracle RAC

Hi.

Is anyone running Oracle (with RAC option) in hp ProLiant DL380 G3 Packaged Cluster with linux?

Thanks.
Emilio.
7 REPLIES 7
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

yes this is supported with Red Hat. Here is the support matrix
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/solutions/enterprise/ha/oracle/serverandstoragematrix.pdf

There is a minor error in the kit part number referenced in the matrix. It should be 308225-B22.

Here is more info on this
http://h18022.www1.hp.com/solutions/enterprise/highavailability/oracle9i/linux-rac/index.html

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo

Hi.

Thanks for the information.

What I want to know is the level of performance of these systems and if they are well tested and supported by HP and Oracle.

Regards.
Emilio.
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

yes they have been tested and are fully supported by HP and Oracle.

As for performance, I'm not sure what you are asking. The one thing to remember about using the MSA500 storage (that comes with the DL380 Packaged CLuster) is that it only supports 2 servers. The performance of the disk subsystem is pretty good - it is 160 MB/s SCSI. But if you want to scale the cluster performance by adding more servers, then you will have a problem because you can only connect 2 servers to the MSA500 storage. If you plan to have more than 2 servers, then the MSA1000 storage is a better idea.

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo

We are running Oracle databases for an OLTP application with about fifty users on HP 9000 class A servers with two processors, They perform quite well. Is there any way to compare a DL380 cluster (with MSA500 or MSA1000) with the system we are already using?

Regards.
Emilio.
Olivier Drouin
Trusted Contributor

I'm right in the installation process...
2*dl380 G3 + MSA 1K

If you are going to run Oracle (with RAC) on linux on that platform I would appreciate your comments once the system goes live to production environment.

Thanks.
Emilio.
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro
Solution

I couldn't find any specific benchmarks that gave a direct comparison between these two configurations, but in general, you should find that the current DL380 cluster will be almost twice as fast.

Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo