1753492 Members
4880 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RSO and DL380-G4 support

Adrian Ogden
Frequent Advisor

RSO and DL380-G4 support

Hi all the documentation on RSO seems to refer to DL380-G3 and before. Does it support the newer machines and is it going end of life?

Do we still have to use SA532 or 5i controllers as these are surely going obsolete soon?

Is it possible to have more than one MSA500 attached to the two hosts as I want to increase availability by doing host based shadow copying between the two MSA's?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Adrian Ogden
Frequent Advisor

It seems to be retired. What a shame.

Is it possible to connect two DL380-G4's together via a bus mastering config. i.e. a SA6402 in each server connected on a shared bus to a MSA500. With only one server powered up and booting off the MSA at a time and do manual failover e.g. power off the defective server and power up the other?
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

yes this is possible. Just make sure that the 2 serevrs are identically configured so you don't have a problem with drivers, etc. when the 2nd server boots.

I would also test it thoroughly in your lab before putting it into production, just to make sure there are no unforeseen problems.

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Adrian Ogden
Frequent Advisor

What happens to the SCSI bus if say the inactive host is disconnected from the bus whislt the active server is accessing the MSA500?

In the old days I would expect to have a Y cable with external terminator attached, such that the bus was still correctly terminated after disconnection to host.
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

It should still be OK, as the bus is terminated within the connector on the back of the MSA500 (built-in functionality equal to the terminated Y cable). However, this is why I said you should thoroughly test it, just to make sure you understand the behavior of the system.

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo