HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
Server Clustering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

in-place clustering

Rodrick Sagun
Occasional Visitor

in-place clustering

I have a Proliant CL380 that has been running visual applications such as images and video. For the longest time, the top node has been turned off because the e: drive will not work with the cluster feature. My question is,is there a way to create the cluster even though it has not been clustered since it was bought. Also the server is sitting in the DMZ so, will I be able to set up the cluster service even though it is not part of a domain?
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
1 REPLY
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: in-place clustering

No matter how you look at it, the cluster nodes NEED to be in a domain because they NEED a Domain Level User account for starting the service.

There is a term called Domainlets that microsoft has an article on which describes HOW to build a cluster in its "own domain", but it requires dcpromo'ing the cluster nodes and stripping out the replication or at least part of it.

As for setting up a cluster after the fact, you may/will have to shutdown the running node so that you can make sure the second node can see all the data drives and the quorum you will need to use. Once the drives are there, make sure they are using the same drive letters and turn it off.

Reboot your second node and start the cluster wizard. Make sure you follow the rules when building a MSCS cluster.

Microsoft MSCS Installation Resources..
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259267

Domainlet Info...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281662

What is your "E:" drive?
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)