108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Management Agents, IM7 and VMWare

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill O'Brien_3
Advisor

HP Management Agents, IM7 and VMWare

we are starting to install the HP Management Agents version 7.0 on our HP servers running VMWare. All is working ok, except that we have found that if a disk drive fails on a VMWare server, the server icon in IM7 never changes colour, it just stays at green. When you drill down to the device, it shows the correct status on the Smartarray card and disks (deggraded etc.) Just to check, I went and pulled a disk in a RAID5 group on one of our Windows servers and soon after, the server icon turned yellow in IM7. What is different here and how do I make the agents behave the same under VMWare?
2 REPLIES 2
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP Management Agents, IM7 and VMWare

Check the identity page to make sure IM7 has identified the device as a server and as a ProLiant server. If IM7 doesn't know it's a ProLiant, it will only use SNMP up/down during polling and not the ProLiant Status Array OID.

Additionally, remember that polling is only a backup for SNMP traps. Confirm that you have SNMP set to send a trap when an event occurs to the IM7 server.
Bill O'Brien_3
Advisor

Re: HP Management Agents, IM7 and VMWare

yes, it did identify it as a server, with the correct product name. Think I must have been having an off day when I tested before as I found today that the server colour is changing just like I'd expect it to. We have SNMP set to send traps to the CIM7 server, we are now working on getting that to forward events we are interested in to ITO. Thanks for your help.