108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installation of Compaq Power Management software

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrew Luck
Occasional Contributor

Installation of Compaq Power Management software

I have Insight Manager 7 sp1 installed on an ML530 with Windows 2003.

I'm now trying to monitor an R6000 UPS and my understanding is I need to install Compaq Power Management software. This will not install as it requires Insight Manager 3.2 or greater??? This is on the same server.

Can anyone explain what I have to install please.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

Andrew,

CPM is a legacy power management software which may no longer support IM 7. You may want to try HP Power Manager 3.1 available for download from www.hp.com/products/ups site. You can configure HP Power Manager software to send UPS events traps to NMS like IM 7 if desired.

Thanks,
Steve
Andrew Luck
Occasional Contributor

Steve

I tried HP Power Manager before I started with the Compaq software. It didn't appear to be able to find the UPS which is connected via a serial cable. Do you know of any settings on the UPS which will affect this?

Regards

Andrew
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Andrew,

I've tried HP Power Manager 3.1 on my R6000 UPS with all possible baud rate settings on the UPS and the software was able to discover the device. Make sure the followings:

1) The special DE9 beige serial cable is good and its part number is 295245-004 (Twelve-foot interface cable)
2) The cable is plugged into either port 1 or 2 out of 2 comm ports in the back of the UPS. I used port 1.
3) There are no other software/application services running which may be trying to use the comm port from the host computer (where you installed and run HP Power Manager software)
4) Once you installed HP Power Manager, you will be prompted to select Comm port for host computer to communicate to the UPS. Select 'Next' to cause the software to attempt discovering the device. If you already passed this step, you can also re-configure HP Power Manager by right-click on the battery tray icon and select 'Configure'

If you have all these above correctly done then I suspect some kind of hardware failure, starting with the comm ports of the UPS.

Thanks,
Steve
Andrew Luck
Occasional Contributor

Steve

Checked through all of your points and all looked OK, so, switched to the second serial port on the UPS and also on the server. Voila, it now all works. Thanks for your help.

Regards

Andrew