108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Servers showing up as Unknown

SOLVED
Go to solution
rdiz1
Occasional Advisor

Servers showing up as Unknown

I have some servers showing up as unknown but I have access to their homepages and can run Data collection but they show up as unknows devices and not servers. Any ideas?
10 REPLIES 10
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Servers showing up as Unknown

If it's a Blue Dot in the H/W Column and an unknown device then it's most likely an SNMP Issue.
SNMP on it's own should be able to correctly identify an HP Server. So, at this point the Agents aren't involved.
And, ou need the SNMP connectivity to be functioning properly before Web Access will work correctly from the IM Server.

The other thing to check is the Trust Certificate.
rdiz1
Occasional Advisor

I will try that thanks. But what is strange to me is that some servers that have green check mark are also listed as unknowns.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

For the Green Ticks are you getting Unknown for the Device Type or Unknown SNMP Device in the Product Name Column?

I get the latter for devices that I do not have MIBs loaded for, some old Dell Boxes mainly.
rdiz1
Occasional Advisor

they are unknown for device type. They are all cpq servers.
Jadrice Toussaint
Honored Contributor

Rick -

What version of the agents are you running?
What OS?
Alan Doran
Advisor

Hello,

I've got the same issue on some of my servers. I'm using IM7 V2.1; Agents at V6.4 plus OS at Win2k Server Sp3.

My servers are set to trust by certificate, alerts are sent when needed etc. Everything looks fine except the "Device Type" is Unknown and the "Product Name" is Unknown SNMP Device.

When I browse to this server from the IM Console, the System Model shows correctly as a Proliant DL380 G2.
I've removed the 6.4 Agents, reinstalled older versions, back as far as 5.5, reinstalled Agents ver 6.4 again, rebooted the server numerous times, ran discovery, manually added the server to the database, Installed the lastest PSP.......still with no joy at the IM Console.

Any one got any ideas on this as I'm stymied.

Thx
Alan.
rdiz1
Occasional Advisor

Im running various agents from 4.9 to 6.4 agents with the same outcome. I too have add them manually and re-discovered them.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

I can only tell you what we see here and how things are set up, as I've never seen the circumstances you're describing.

I only use Auto-Discovery, I've never manually added any devices. This seems to keep discovery and recognition cleaner.

On devices that do not have SNMP I see a blue dot and unknown device type, as I'd expect.
On devices with SNMP, but without any identifying MIBs in IM, i.e. Dell Workstations, I get the Green Tick, "other" in the Device Column and "Unknown SNMP Device" in the description.

SNMP is all that's required for IM to correctly identify a CPQ/HP Proliant Server and various other CPQ/HP Devices.

From IM, select the device not being correctly represented and go into SNMP Explorer. Select the CPQSINFO category and then Select cpsSiProductName and hoit Read Device, this should bring back the name of the device and, I think, this is similar to how IM identifies the device.

Also from IM, I'd check under the Edit Device section under Settings that SNMP was Checked in the Protocols Panel.

Finally, I'd try and determine why Auto-Discovery doesn't pick these devices up. Disable Filters and see if they're flagged as Unknown (or other) and work from there. Inclusing checking all SNMP Settings.
Alan Doran
Advisor

Hello,

Last friday, I reinstalled the 6.4 agents & let autodiscovery run over the weekend. When I came into work on monday, there was my server, with the device type & product name correctly identified in IM.
Don't know what caused it to work, but it's there.

Rgds
Alan.