Server Management (Insight Manager 7)
1753511 Members
5339 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: The Version Control Agent encountered an error while obtaining the software and firmware inventory."

David Gaunt
Occasional Contributor

The Version Control Agent encountered an error while obtaining the software and firmware inventory."

"The Version Control Agent encountered an error while obtaining the software and firmware inventory."

i get this whenever i try to view the version control agent on a machine. All the latest proliant software is installed on the machine so it is totally up to date but i've no idea why it wont work. all passwords are fine it just doesnt want to play ball.

Any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: The Version Control Agent encountered an error while obtaining the software and firmware inventory."

When viewing the VCA interface you should see an option to "Change agent settings" on the right. Selecting that will make you confirm the VCRM and its login/password. If you can successfully complete that you should have no problem selecting the reference Support Pack (assuming your VCRM is set up and functional).
Benneweg
Frequent Advisor

Do you have the VCA on Linux or Windows? I had the same problem with Linux.
I think it is not a problem with the VCRM, but with getting the information from the machine itself.
I am still searching a solution ...
Fredrik Bergenheim
Occasional Advisor

I have the same problem and in the log I find this message:

" SNMP: The request timed-out. 2004-04-21 08:38:35 An error occurred while performing an operating system specific operation.
VCA1082529515 2004-04-21 08:38:35 The Version Control Agent encountered an error while obtaining the software and firmware inventory. "

The System Management Homepage takes about 30sec to load and it doesn't show all info (I guess there is a time out here to... this have happend on 2 new 2003 installations.

Please help.

Fredrik Bergenheim
Occasional Advisor

I found the problem, in the snmp service, I haved choosen
"Accept SNMP packages from these hosts" and only written the CIM server name. That wasn't enoght, Localhost must also be there. Or choose Accept SNMP from Any host.

Jason Sarre
Advisor

I have had this when I have had setup the System Link Configuration (On HP SIM 4.0) or on Insight Manger it is located in the security section on the last tab, you will see these 3 options.

If I have set it to anything else apart from "Use the system IP address" I have had strange connection errors, with the login screen coming up when you access the Version Control Agent and also Version Control Agent not reporting the software installed.

Viswanath Adapa
Occasional Advisor

Please refer to the following Customer Advisory for a Resolution.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EM021108_CW01

Thanks and Regards
Vishu
DennisCThornton
Frequent Advisor

I found I had to restart the SNMP service before the VCA would see the changes.
Valentin Milev

I had the same problem, that was definitely SNMP issue. In mine case 'Physical' checkbox in the SNMP agent hasn't been checked, so the VCA was unable to retrieve information from the Insight agents.

Ofcourse SNMP configuration changes requires restart of the service.