Server Management (Insight Manager 7)
1753935 Members
9754 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to establish communications with IM7.

David Velez_2
Occasional Advisor

Unable to establish communications with IM7.

I am running IM7(SP2) for several months now with no problems, but on Tuesday (6/10) the subject message has appeared. I have gotten this message before, mainly when a change has been made in Settings, but it only lasted for approximately 12 hrs. Well it is 6/12 and I am still getting the message "Unable to establish communications with IM7." Has anyone experienced this problem, if so can you tell me why and how to fix it.

Thanks

David Velez
7 REPLIES 7
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Typically someone has shutdown IM? or the IM Server?
Usually you need to close the Browser that was connected and start a new Browser session.

I'd check that the IM Service is still running on the IM Server.
Check you can actually get to the IM Server, can you ping it?
David Velez_2
Occasional Advisor

Yes the server is on and Insight is running on the server. It doesn't matter if I access IM from the server or my work station. I still get the same message, "Unable to establish communications with Insight Manager 7."
David Velez_2
Occasional Advisor

I am still unable to access IM7. When I go to the Settings tab this is the other error message I receive:

Insight Manager has detected an error:

Error Message:java.lang.IllegalStateException: Operation timed out
File name: https//srvrname/50000/ui/jsp/XeHdr. jsp?PageName=discovery_configuration&HelpId= XE_Admin_DISCOVERY&menuIndex=0
Line Number: 210.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. IM7 is up to 11,000+ records in the Unlceared Status.

Thanks,
Marcel v.d. Steeg
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

Found a solution yet for this problem? We're facing the same problem and I can't find out what it is :o(

We've checked the following things:
- Database account: We've tested with a SQL account and with a Domain account
- Security settings.
- We've changed the login user for the IM7 from a domain admin to a local admin.
- Re-installed everything.

None of the above seemed to work. I've attached a screenshot with the message(s).

The 1st message (1, appears in the default start window) :
Unable to establish communication with Insight Manager 7

The 2nd message (2, appears in the Tab 'Settings' -> Discovery -> Automatic Discovery)

We've only installed the product and haven't done anything. Could somebody please help us?

Thanks in advance,

Marcel v.d. Steeg
m.steeg@netscope.nl

Jadrice Toussaint
Honored Contributor

Can you look in control panel on the workstation you're trying to access the IM7 server from and tell me how many copies of java you have and what are the versions?

it seems to me that this is java related not IM7. we'll soon find out once I get a reply back.
Scott Shaffer
Esteemed Contributor

I think Jadrice has got it - you need to make sure that only Java JVM 1.3.1_02 is running when you launch Insight Manager 7.

Look into the control panel and see if you have any other versions of Java installed. If you do, go make sure that none of them are set to be the default. Then, close all your copies of IE, open one and go to IM7. You should then auto-load 1.3.1_02 and it should work.
Dude, we've been totally misled by our album covers!
Marcel v.d. Steeg
Esteemed Contributor

Hello all,

Thanks for the reply's! And finally I found out what the problem was...

First I checked the Java version and it was the right one.

After that I unchecked the use of a proxy server restarted the IE and the problem was solved :o)

Regards,

Marcel v.d. Steeg