4869 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: updating magement agents

SOLVED
Go to solution
David_652

updating magement agents

Does anyone know how to update management agents selectively in insight manager 7. in the old days (compaq) when you stick a management CD into the drive you can push an upgrade to a specific Host. I dont seem to be able to do it with version 7 of Management Agents. Also i have tried to do it via Insight Manger but cant figure out how to do it selectively. I dont want to create a task to update all versions Greater than 6.4 i just want to upgrade a specific server to test.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
10 REPLIES 10
Seth Kelly
Advisor

In Insight Manager, go to "All Systems", find your test server, and click its blue hyperlink name. Hit the "Links" tab on the system page that appears and if your software is new enough there should be a link to "Version Control Agent". If it's correctly configured to look at your CMS for the updates and your CMS actually has the updates, from here it's just a matter of clicking the little gray icons next to each bit of software marked with a yellow graphic. Obviously it's good to pay close attention to which updates require reboots at this point.

Alternatively, you can go to "Deploy", -> "Deploy Drivers, Firmware, and Agents", -> "Initial ProLiant Support Pack Install". Then select your target server, authenticate, and schedule the task to run 2 or 3 minutes in the future. DO NOT "run now", this button is currently only decoration.

A second alternative is to download from HP/find on a CD the PSP install, remote connect to your test server, drop the install folder onto the server, and run the install.

Hopefully one of these will work for you. Start at the top and work your way down. Also, after you run a support pack install be sure to go to Options -> Discovery -> Identify Systems, find your test server, and run the tool. Basically this hits the refresh button on IM's connection to the server and will update the info on the system page. Otherwise it may look as if the update did nothing until the next scheduled automatic discovery runs.
David_652

tahnk you for your reply

I dont get the option to check the witch software i want to update.. the second option i dont get the Deply option. all i have is software firmware update.. i can create a new task but icant select a specific system..
Seth Kelly
Advisor

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that when in insight manager, if you click "deploy" -> "deploy drivers, firmware, and agents" on the top menu bar, your only choice is "Install Software and Firmware"? And when you click on this option, you don't have the choice to pick "Individual systems in the list"?

And did you try to go here:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/supportpaq.html
Download the appropriate pack, and install it remotely? It seems to me that sometimes a server just won't take an update pushed from SIM, and it's easy enough to remote it. Oh, and what OS are you running on this test box?
David_652

I have all suppport packs installed version 7 for win2k and win2003, and 6.3 for nt4.

the os in question is only 2k. attached you will find s screen print of what i am looking at.

05 machine is win2k management agents 5.5

22 machine is win2k agents 5.1

the other 2 are workstations
Seth Kelly
Advisor

I'm sorry, I'm not running SP2.3. I'm waiting (patiently) for SIM 4.1. Incidentally, I'm not familiar with that GUI.
Doug Wogan
Regular Advisor
Solution

David.
On the main screen when you first open IM7. Highlight the computer you want to upgrade to PSP7. Select Actions\Create task for currently selected devices\Control\Update Software Firmware\. From there you will give your query a name and select the version of PSP you want to update. This is assuming you already have a trust setup between your client machines and your IM7 server.
David_652

Doug

Thank you that was great but i am still having problems .. the error messages i am geitng is Agent Failed Command. I have no idea what that means..

if anyone here know how to resolve this please let me know.
Doug Wogan
Regular Advisor

Do you have a trust setup between your client agents and your IM7 server?
David_652

Yes the cert is there..