1745784 Members
3864 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BL460c ILO2 problem after firmware (ROM flash) upgrade to 1.70

Torbjorn Mohn
Frequent Advisor

BL460c ILO2 problem after firmware (ROM flash) upgrade to 1.70

After upgrading to the latest support pack (8.20A) with Online ROM Flash for windows x64 ver 1.70 ILO2 and management controller 1.9.0.0 Im getting hpqilo2 warning messages in my Windows System Event log like these:
-(Event ID 57)--
Failed GET SENSOR READING, sensor 9
NetFN 0x4, command 0x2D timed out
Maximum indicator count (1) exceeded
Duplicate thermal sensor instances: 1
Duplicate thermal sensor indices: 1
Duplicate thermal sensor instances: 2
----
and on and on....
They appear twice every day, on ALL three of my BL 460C blades. This did not happen at all before this upgrade.
Is there something wrong with the firmware? Is there something wrong with all my blades? Or is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?
Systems are running Windows Server ver 2003 R2 x64 with all security patches installed!
(Same firmware and controller driver works fine on my "older" ML370 systems!)
88 REPLIES 88
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

Re: BL460c ILO2 problem after firmware (ROM flash) upgrade to 1.70

I am having these messages as well on my BL460c blades.

I've had the ILo 1.70 firmware on for a long time and hasn't been a problem until I installed the PSP 8.20 yesterday. So definately something with the drivers int he 8.20 pack that is doing it.

Also getting some blue screen crashes now too.
Torbjorn Mohn
Frequent Advisor

I'va also had a few BSOD crashes lately. Never happened before! So 8.20 is definately to blame. What to do? Go back to 8.15? Is that possible?
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

So far, it seems just specific to x64 machines. I'm hoping to not have to uninstall the entire PSP. I'd like to try to isolate which driver is causing it.

Right now I have ASR disabled on some of the machines, hoping to catch the crash memory dump this time.
Torbjorn Mohn
Frequent Advisor

It's only my Blade servers doing this. I have ML370's with 64 bits installation, and they are working fine with support pack 8.20. So I guess it's a BL460c/x64 issue? (I have no BL460c's with 32bit OS to compare with).
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

Yeah, just BL460c with x64.

I reverted the ilo2 management driver back to 1.8 and the hpqilo2 messages have not returned yet.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=3808910&prodNameId=3808911&swEnvOID=1113&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-03c99c6a52a047d0bf38df0331

Still waiting to see if there's any more crashes though.
Torbjorn Mohn
Frequent Advisor

I've now done the same here; downgraded to 1.8 on ONE of my blades. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. This hpqilo2 message only appeared twice a day here, so I may be in for an overnight wait. :-)
Torbjorn Mohn
Frequent Advisor

Seems to me now that going back to the ilo2 management driver back 1.8 may have solved the problem. Since I did that on a few of the servers here, the problem seems to be gone. I will now downgrade ALL my servers here to the previous version (i DID get the same error messages on the ML370's as well eventually!) tonight, and keep an eye on them over the weekend.
Now what? Will HP do something about this, or what?
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

Yeah, so far so good here. It definately stopped the error message from appearing, and have not yet had any crashes. Time will tell.

PSP 8.20 isn't "officially" available until the 31st of the month. It was listed as available for servers for a few days, and then it was pulled. Perhaps HP discovered the issue and is working on a newer version of that driver.

I'll update again if I hear anything or have any further issues.
Torbjorn Mohn
Frequent Advisor

Well.... bad news... the error message reappeared here on one of the servers, so there is definitely more to it than just this driver. The error message is obviously not so frequent as it was before, but still there. The fact that HP has pulled the 8.20 update package I guess means they have realized something is wrong. I hope I can live with the problem until they re-release it?