108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Changing Server Name In ILO

SOLVED
Go to solution
fluidville
Frequent Advisor

Changing Server Name In ILO

Does anybody know if there is any way of changing the server name field in the ILO enviroment, with out having to reset, or rebuild ILO or the server.
18 REPLIES 18
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

The iLo takes the configured Server Name from the host OS. You can not change it unless you change it in the OS (usually).

The iLo also has it's own hostname. Which of the 2 do you want to change?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
fluidville
Frequent Advisor

It was the server name with in ILO that i was looking to change but i think you have pretty much answered my question, so far as where ILO get the server name from.

Agedmcse
Occasional Advisor

I am puzzled since in my case the server host name within ILO(not the ILO subsystem name)is totally different to the server Netbios name. Is there any way of changing the name elseware.
William Nyden
Occasional Contributor

I have the same question, but I have a Linux OS on my DL 585. The iLO apparently doesn't know where to find the system's hostname to apply to the "Server Name".
NMory
Respected Contributor

My understanding is that information is given by HP Insight Management Agents, who interact with your Hardware-OS, so whatever name you give to the server in Windows you will get in the iLO.

Regards,

LNassar
William Nyden
Occasional Contributor

This doesn't solve my problem, unless you're saying I have to load Windows on the system to give it its name and then rebuild the system with Linux.
Cory Sample

I too have the same issue. I HAD a windows OS on a ProLiant DL380 G4 and it is now a ESX 3.0 server. iLO reports the name of the old Windows OS. How is it that i can get that changed?
jozelo

In my case in the ILO browser appears at the very top

Server Name: host is unnamed
iLO Name: servpesca2
Current User: Jose Maria Martin-Lunas

I don't know the way to cahnge the

Server Name: host is unnamed
to the correct server name
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Communication between the host and the iLO is accomplished via the iLO driver. Without that in place, there is no way for the host to tell iLO the hostname.