1748281 Members
4069 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Constant error: Open could not dequeue a packet

msully_1
Occasional Contributor

Constant error: Open could not dequeue a packet

We are trying to use hponcfg and hpilo to monitor temperature and fan status on Proliant DL 360 and 380 machines.

We've been trying different versions of the Proliant Support Pack over the past year and we constantly run into a problem with HP ILO. In the past, ILO would eventually just lock up, with 8.5, it does seem to continue to function, but our log files is filling up with the following message:

Aug 19 19:07:17 ilpm85-act kernel: hpilo 0000:01:04.2: Open could not dequeue a
packet
Aug 19 19:07:17 ilpm85-act kernel:last message repeated 7 times

Here are the rpm's we are using:
hp-health-8.5.0.23-23.rhel5.x86_64.rpm
hp-ilo-8.5.0-1.rhel5.x86_64.rpm
hp-OpenIPMI-8.5.0-1.rhel5.x86_64.rpm
hponcfg-3.1.0-0.noarch.rpm

I've seen a few references to this error in the past through google, but no actual links to solutions to remove it.

We are running Centos 5.3, but we update /etc/redhat-release to return a Redhat release string, since the hp-OpenIPMI install script seems to check for this.

I've only been running the current ilo version for 24 hours, so there is still a chance that ilo will lock up completely, but right now we're getting these messages, but still get valid results most of the time.
7 REPLIES 7
RP_OPS

Has a solution been found for this annoying problem..? :)  To date, I am still experiencing this issue.?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Original thread is almost 6 years old. Are you running the same OS and agent versions as the original poster?  I'd suggest starting a new thread with details of your configuration

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Garrett_ComSysA
Visitor

Has there been any resolve or direction by HP to this log entry? 

nimbus
Occasional Advisor

I'm also getting this error on a BL460c Gen 10 blade trying to install the iLO5 AMSD. Operating System is OL6.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

THis error can be triggered when the iLO CHIF drive (hpilo) can't access iLO.  Are you sure OL6 has the proper CHIF driver for iLO5? Make sure iLO isn't in a hung state, see if you access the iLO via CLI or the web interface.

nimbus
Occasional Advisor

iLO5 is definitely ok and working fine. I can login and navigate the web interface without issue. Logging in via SSH to access the CLI also works fine.

I've reset iLO just to be sure, and the situation hasn't changed.

Are you referring to the Channel Interface Driver? I can only find this driver available for Windows installations (2012 R2 & 2016). I can't see any available download from hpe for a Linux variant. We've installed the AMSD driver on other boxes without issue using the same OL6 distribution and its working well.

Oracle RAC has been installed on this particular box, but I'm not sure how/why that would interfere with this management driver.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@nimbus wrote:

iLO5 is definitely ok and working fine. I can login and navigate the web interface without issue. Logging in via SSH to access the CLI also works fine.

I've reset iLO just to be sure, and the situation hasn't changed.

Are you referring to the Channel Interface Driver? I can only find this driver available for Windows installations (2012 R2 & 2016). I can't see any available download from hpe for a Linux variant. We've installed the AMSD driver on other boxes without issue using the same OL6 distribution and its working well.

Oracle RAC has been installed on this particular box, but I'm not sure how/why that would interfere with this management driver.

Yes, I was refering to the channel interface driver.  It is an open source driver and is in the Linux kernel tree. An updated version is required for iLO5 that may not be in OL6

Looking at the technical exceptions page for Oracle Linux Minimum Operating System Requirements shpws
BL460 Gen10   Oracle Linux/UEK 7.4     Oracle VM 3.4.4

Other Gen10 show this note for Oracle Linux 6.9

• 3 Oracle Linux 6.9 Gen10 server support requires requires UEK R4U4 and the "Driver Update Disk for Oracle Linux 6 for x86_64bit". The driver update disk is available at https://edelivery.oracle.com/ configured with the Oracle Linux 6.9 media pack. Search "RELEASES" and use the search string "Oracle Linux 6 Update 9" to narrow down the search results.

http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/exceptions/oel_exceptions.aspx#.W736YmhKhPY