1752693 Members
5671 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G3 iLO shows disabled when booting

Mark Kerr
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G3 iLO shows disabled when booting

We have some DL380 G3 with an integrated iLO/rib card that shows disabled when booting. There is no F8 to go into the configuration and the switch inside the DL380 is set of OFF to enable iLO. I set the switch to disable (ON) and powered it on. I then powered if off and set the switch to enable (OFF), but it still shows disabled.
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Have you checked the RBSU? I remember seeing in PCI Devices where you can soft enable/disable the integrated Management Controller/Processor. This was on a DL580G2 though, not a DL380 G3.

I would think they are similar and is worth a shot if you haven't tried.

Hit F9 just before it boots to the OS, you should see something like..

F9=RBSU
F10=something
F12= PXE Boot

Jusy in case.. RBSU is the ROM Based Setup Utility, the servers BIOS settings.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Mark Kerr
Occasional Contributor

Sorry, but the F9 on a DL380 G3, PCI Devices, only lets you set the IRQ. Is there some way to set it once the system comes up (Windows 2003). I was looking there as well but cannot find anything on the iLO.
I took all the cards out of the server, with the same problem. There was a rib CARD in the server when we first received it, but we took it ut since i has the iLO integrated.
There was a network (gigabit) card in it as well.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Mark,
Maybe there's a way of disabling the ILO in the BIOS. If this Server had a RILOE II then they may have done that.
You'd need to look through the RBSU Guide to see if there's anything like that.
I seem to vaguely recall some notes on running a RILOE II in a Server with an ILO so I think there's something you do configure.
Maybe check out the RILOE II Docs.
Mark Kerr
Occasional Contributor

FYI... Someone here found the way to get it to work. If you have a rib Card in the server as well, once you take the rib CARD out to use the iLO, you have to poweroff the server and set the Systen Maint. switches on the motherboard, for iLO (#1) to ON (Disable). Also turn ON the switch for power-on password (#1) which disables it. Boot up and you should see the F8. Go reset the ILO to defaults, and save. Power the machine off and set both switches OFF. Everything should work after that.
Thanks for the input though.
acartes
Honored Contributor

FYI
iLO self-disables when it detects either a RILOE or a RILOE-II in the host at POST.

After iLO is disabled (automatically or manually) you unplug, set the iLO security override switch, power-on, enable iLO in RBSU, unplug, clear the security switch, then finally power-on.

The decision was made to require physical intervention because some customers might want to disable iLO and be confident that it cannot accidentally be re-enabled-- just like removing a RILOE card prevents it from accidentally appearing in a server :)