Server Management - Remote Server Management
1752437 Members
5689 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL585 G5 - No power monitoring with ILO2 Advanced?!

SOLVED
Go to solution
JimTaylor
Advisor

DL585 G5 - No power monitoring with ILO2 Advanced?!

We just ordered a few of these systems maxed out with 4x 2.2GHz Barcelona's and 64GB RAM (for VMware deployment) and after applying an ILO2 advanced license i'm somewhat shocked to see that there is no power monitoring available on these systems!

Does anyone know why this is, and whether this is like to change with any firmware updates down the line?

It seems like something of a backward step especially given that much smaller / less powerful systems like DL36x's and DL38x's have those features!

Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17
JimTaylor
Advisor

Re: DL585 G5 - No power monitoring with ILO2 Advanced?!

I wasn't sure if this was some kind of glitch with the ILO web engine, but as if to reaffirm it, SSH'ing into the ILO port and issuing a 'show system1' command, at the bottom of the list of elements I see this:

enabledstate=enabled
oemhp_powerreg=auto
processor_number=8
pstate_number=5
oemhp_pwrcap=not set
--> Power Monitoring commands aren't supported

?!??!

Kim Se Hyung

Buy iLo2 Power Pack ?
JimTaylor
Advisor

ILO2 Advanced includes power monitoring so I don't believe there is any need to buy the ILO2 Power Pack...?

We've deployed ILO2 Advanced onto about 10 servers so far and had power monitoring on all of them!
JimTaylor
Advisor

Bump. Can I get any comments from anyone on this? I'm staggered that there isn't any power monitoring on this system?

Was there on the DL585 G2?!
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you don't need no other license to monitor the power through ilo2.
There should be a power management tab (the 4th one) - this is ilo feature, which should be 100% supported from this server.

While writing this I checked the BIOS versions :

Version: 2008.02.20 (A)

"Added support for monitoring processor power states using Integrated Lights Out 2 (iLO2) or Insight Power Manager for ProLiant G5 AMD Opteron Servers utilizing Third Generation AMD Opteron 8300-series Quad-Core Processors. This feature requires an iLO Select Pack or iLO Advanced Pack license."

To update the ilo, BIOS and all other firmwares, use firmware maintenance CD if you haven't already:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=MTX-8141ddd7398a47ba87134a90ddтМй=en&cc=us&mode=5&

Regards
Blazhev
JimTaylor
Advisor

The server shipped with the most recent ILO2 firmware on it (1.50) and the system firmware was already at 2008.02.20 (A) but just to rule that out as being to blame, I updated to an even more recent firmware on the most recent firmware CD. The BIOS version is now bumped up to 2008.03.28 (A) - but unfortunately there is still no proper power monitoring.

You can indeed view processor states in the ILO2 but there is none of the actual Watts or BTU/hr that i'm used to.... :(
acartes
Honored Contributor
Solution

Confirmed: The DL585G2 and DL585G5 does not support power measurement via iLO.
JimTaylor
Advisor

What a joke :| So, HP are keen to bring model numbers in line with each other, but clearly not the equipment, even on more expensive models!

How can the DL36x and the DL38x of this generation have power monitoring but not the DL58x?!

I'm at a loss for words, and so glad I spent money on Insight Power Monitoring licenses that I can't use where I wanted them!

But thanks for the answer as at least it stops me guessing.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi guys

I am little list

what do you mean by no power monitoring? what is the tab missing?? or where is located?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!