Server Management - Remote Server Management
1751837 Members
4916 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Embedded Flash/SD-CARD -Controller firmware revision 2.10.00 Partition Table Read Error:

SOLVED
Go to solution
JMollema
Frequent Visitor

Embedded Flash/SD-CARD -Controller firmware revision 2.10.00 Partition Table Read Error:

"Could not partition embedded media device"

I have updated the iLO to the lastest version and Formatted the embedded flash and reset the iLO several times, including restarting the server and unplugging the server for several minutes. I still get this error message, although it has changed over the course of repair attempts.

My question is this: What does this actually affect? I'm running eXSI on this box. Does this error only affect remote access via iLO? I barely, if ever, use that. Is it safe to continue to build out this box without replacing the Motherboard if I don't expect to use iLO?

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: Embedded Flash/SD-CARD -Controller firmware revision 2.10.00 Partition Table Read Error:

Hi,

There was an advisory released for the issue "Could not partition embedded media device".

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c04996097

Thank You!
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

JMollema
Frequent Visitor

I was already aware of this and detailed the steps already taken. Can you reread my post and actually answer my questions?

AmRa
HPE Pro

It having impact only on AHS collection, Intelligenet provision execution and NAND chip (Embedded Media ) which hold Intelligenet provision and iLO. 

AHS Errors

AHS Logs display a blank date when performing the following:
"Select a range of the Active Health log in days From: _______ To:_________"
AHS file system mount may fail with (I/O Error) or (No Such Device).
The HP Active Health System (AHS) Logs are unable to be downloaded. AHS Data is not available due to a filesystem error.
The iLO Diagnostic tab will display the following error message: "Embedded media manager failed initialization" or "The AHS file system mount failed with (No such device) or "The AHS file system mount failed with (I/O error)" or "Controller firmware revision 2.09.00 Could not partition embedded media device."
Unable to download AHS log and "bb_dl_disabled" is displayed.

Embedded Media Errors

Controller Firmware Version 2.09.00 may fail to restart.
Unable to partition Embedded media device.
Embedded media manager may fail initialization.

Intelligent Provisioning Errors

Intelligent Provisioning will not run when selecting F10.

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
WouterH
HPE Pro
Solution

NAND Usage in Gen8 Through Gen10 Plus HPE Servers 

"A worn out NAND will not normally impact a server in production, except for servers managed by HPE OneView. If the NAND is worn and the server is already under HPE OneView management there will not be an immediate impact. There may be errors and the profile cannot be modified. In addition, the server cannot be brought under HPE OneView management and a server profile cannot be applied.

Communication with the NAND from any part of the server happens through an eMMC controller. In HPE ProLiant Gen8 and Gen9 servers, a single eMMC controller handles communication between the server and an optional SD card as well as the NAND flash. In HPE ProLiant Gen10 and Gen10 Plus servers, the SD card and NAND flash use separate eMMC controllers."

Be aware: If the server is booting from a Micro SD Card you might loose access to the boot device.

"On HPE ProLiant BL460c Gen9, HPE ProLiant XL230 Gen9, HPE ProLiant XL250a Gen9, and HPE ProLiant XL450 Gen9 servers, the NAND resides on a daughter card. Initially, the daughter card was not a separate spare part, requiring that a system board be replaced for a failed NAND. The daughter card spare parts were created for these servers to avoid a system board replacement when the only issue was the NAND."

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo