Server Management - Remote Server Management
1752795 Members
6929 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Enclosure name from blade

Patrick Keys

Enclosure name from blade

Does anyone know of a way of determining the name of the enclosure (c3000) holding a BL460c blade from the blade itself under Linux? We have a requirement for our software to know which enclosure and slot the blade is housed in.

Querying the enclosure iLO controller probably won't be possible due to network configuration.
4 REPLIES 4
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

You need to login to iLO of the server.
Select BL c-Class TAB.
You find the which enclosure and slot the blade is housed in.
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Install HP System Management Homepage on the Blade browse to the Blade SMH, you will be able to find the information.
More information on SMH refer to:
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/agents/index.html
Patrick Keys

Thanks for the responses - I'd love to try the System Management Homepage, but after 45 minutes of following link after link to try to download the software, I eventually gave up after each link terminated in a 'we can't find the software that you want' error. Quite how HP can justify a web site that performs so badly and so slowly is beyond me - such a good advertisement for their server technology.

Anyway, rant over - will the SMH allow me to obtain this information programmatically? The reason for this is that I need to use the bay number and chassis identifier (or name) as part of a boot-time script to configure the blade in a specific way. With Dell blade servers this was easy - the information was available via SNMP.

I know that this is probably backwards to the way that most people deploy systems - however there is a real requirement within our systems to allow blades to be configured on the fly at boot time rather than pre-configured via a system management website.
Patrick Keys

Have finally managed to install the System Management Homepage, but I can't see where it is possible to see the enclosure name or anything else that could be used to identify it. Any ideas?