1752609 Members
4073 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HELP ME FIND A RIB!!!

GARY_129

HELP ME FIND A RIB!!!

People,
I have been given the marvellous task of discovering RIB cards on an estate that I am new to.
1.Is there any way to simplify my task i.e.: will I have to visit each and every machine and view its config / survey to see if a Rib card exists. If there is a way to locate Ribs on Servers via the network if connected, that will at least limit the servers I have to visit to start with.
2.Any one know of a survey collection tool/ script I can implement.
NB: I will nodoubt be able to understand if the server has Ilo's by there model.
many thanks in advance.
Gary
2 REPLIES 2
acartes
Honored Contributor

Re: HELP ME FIND A RIB!!!

There are a few paths available to you.

If the RIBs are on the network, then HP SIM can perform discovery.

Alternatively, you can download the HP Lights-Out Directory migration utility if the RIBs are on the network. It has a step that performs Lights-Out processor discovery. You can specify an IP range to scan, then a list of the detected lights-out (RILOE, RILOE II, and iLO) processors is built, including their network addresses.

The survey utility, part of the HP ProLiant PMP (I believe this is right, correct me if it is not) can be run on a host to discover the internal inventory. The report that is generated will contain options information.
Neil Fairall_1

Re: HELP ME FIND A RIB!!!

I have never found any of those solutions to be completely successul. They are pretty much dependent upon your having the right version of firmware and/or management agents on the destination servers or they can just skip over RILOEs and iLOs. And of course remote discovery of devices that aren't attached to the network is even more difficult - your only real option is to use SIM there.

I actually ended up taking some of the tools from the SmartStart Scripting Toolkit. They can tell you definitively if you have a RILOE or iLO in the system. Of course then I discovered that if I didn't have the health drivers (CPQASM) up to date I would need to do so before discovery worked, so I ended up packaging the whole thing in a perl script. Kludgy but it got me the information I wanted. Now if only I can find the time to document it and package it so that I can run it against several hundred servers!