1752723 Members
6971 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HPE iLO5 gives cert invalid error every 10-30 seconds

enderbean
Occasional Collector

HPE iLO5 gives cert invalid error every 10-30 seconds

I'm trying to learn/use iLO5 on our HPE Synergy 12000 system. When I connect into iLO5, I have to click "Proceed Anyway" in Chrome to bypass the invalid certificate before I can log in. I've already saved and imported the certificate into Trusted Root Certification Authorities. However every 10-30 seconds when browsing the iLO pages, they'll stop loading and I have to refresh and click "Proceed Anyways" again due to the invalid certificate warning. Does anyone have an idea of what else I can try to stop this error from popping up so often? Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
DanCernese
HPE Pro

Hello!  Given the integrated solution Synergy provides, it's important to understand which version of the Composer (HPE OneView) and what the iLO5 version is and which HPE Synergy Release (i.e. HPE Synergy Custom SPP) firmware bundle you're using on the compute modules and frame?   

I am an HPE Employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
SB6
HPE Pro

@enderbean 

For reported query, iLo have default certificate which is not trusted by browsers, hence standard warning  given by browsers. 

To prevent this, you may generate CSR certificate from iLo and get is signed from CA signing autherority and upload signed certificate. 

CA signed certificates are recommended as they are more secure. For more details How to make iLo more security you may refer below HPE iLo Security document. 

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c04530504

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00026409en_us

Further for technical assistance, it would also be advised to have a support log case logged with our support, so our support resources could review this issue in real time with you to isolate if any OneView or other configuration needs to be validated/modified to address reported behavior. 

Regards,

SB6

I am an HPE Empoyee!

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

S_Logan
HPE Pro

Hello Enderbean,

The possible reason could be an untrusted site certificate will no longer apply to all windows within the same site.

Please try one of the following options:

1. Use a different web browser that does not prompt to trust the site untrusted certificate each time.
  2. Install a trusted certificate in the current web browser.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

A single warning about the certificate is normal, but not every 30 seconds.

Any browser add-ons used? Does this happen with different browsers too?

What ILO version is running?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
enderbean
Occasional Collector

Hi @Torsten. , thanks for your reply.

We're not using any browser add-ons, in Edge (ver. 44.18362.449.0) and IE (ver. 11.592.18362.0) we don't get the option to "Proceed Anyway" so we can't test the repeating error. This only happens for us in Chrome (ver. 80.3987.100).

We're using iLO 5, firmware version 1.37.

This happens for both of 2 blades we're running in our chassis, which are both the same Synergy 480 Gen10.

SB6
HPE Pro

@enderbean 

It seems iLo5 FW (1.37) is quite outdated , if feasible you may try latest iLo5 FW (2.15) .

In case you still see issues, it would be advised to log a support case to our support engineer could investigate on this issue in real time and collect more data which might be required to investigate on this. 

Regards,

SB6!

I am an HPE Employee!

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Give this a try:
use a current baseline for the system.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
DanCernese
HPE Pro

You must never update only iLO outside the HPE Synergy Software Release except perhaps for experimentation.  It is not supported to run updated iLOs in a Synergy environment without also aligning the corresponding HPE OneView and infrastructure firmware to match one of those documented on HPE Synergy Software Releases 

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
DanCernese
HPE Pro

iLO5 v1.37 is part of 2018.11.20190611 that has since gone out of support.  You should plan on confirming your HPE OneView is 4.20 and upgrade to the HPE Synergy Custom SPP 2019.03.20200324.  That includes iLO5 v1.45.

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo