Re: HPESA powershell not working on new servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
tslaikjer
Visitor

HPESA powershell not working on new servers

Hi,

Hope someone can help out here. 

We have during the year installed about 30 servers as a part of the server upgrade processes. This is automated using a script that takes care of every aspect of the configuration, installation and so on. 

On the last server batch we recieved, the HPESA powershell commands no longer finds any Smart array controller which prevents us from configuring raid, cache etc..  Targeting the servers we received earlier this year, we have no problems seing the controller so we can rule out the module is bad. . 

The controller in question is HPE Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10, firmware 3.0.

Controller is displayed in ILO and we can configure using system configuration, but this rather time consuming compared the using powershell.

Hope someone has a quick fix. 

BR
Torben 

7 REPLIES 7
Bunsol
HPE Pro

If you want to use a script to create then you will have to use the scripting toolkit:-

Linux:-

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00017067en_us&docLocale=en_US

Windows:-

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00017070en_us

Check under Using HPE SSA scripting and you will find the information.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!
I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
tslaikjer
Visitor

Hi Bunsol, 

I am aware of the scripting toolkit, but that is a bit more static and we need to run it from the install process. 

The powershell tools could make the configuration through ILO, which is much more flexible. 

So I wonder why this suddely has stopped working for newly purchased servers. 

BR
Torben

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi @tslaikjer 

Hope you able to ping server ILO.

Check discovery status and try again,

$connection | Get-HPESADiscoveryStatus

Also you can try to update Intelligent provisioning to latest and check again.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_58d0df2101e94ba1b8ada2344d#tab-history

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

hshrib
Advisor
Solution

Hello Torben 

To fix the issue which you are facing with HPESA PowerShell commands,  we request you to downgrade the iLO5 firmware  version earlier than v2.30.

Once the iLO firmware is downgraded, execute HPESA PowerShell commands. After the commands are successfully executed, update ilO5 firmware to the latest version.

This should fix the issue.

Thanks You
I am an HPE Employee
tslaikjer
Visitor

There is no problem with connectivity, the SA is just not listed. 

tslaikjer
Visitor

Hello  @hshrib ,

I downgraded ILO to 2.16 and ran the HPESA commands agains a server without any problems. 

As long as we can downgrade, I can confirm this is a valid workaround. I hope the problems get fixed in HPESA or ILO, this is not speeding up the install process. 

Guy Y
Advisor

Hello - Has this been resolved yet (besides downgrading the firmware)? 

We have upgraded to FW version 2.33 and the only PS cmdlets that work are Clear-HPESALog, Connect-HPESA, Disable-HPESALog, Enable-HPESALOG, Disconnect-HPESA, Test-HPESAConnection, and oddly enough New-HPESALogicalDrive. Note these 

Thanks