Server Management - Remote Server Management
1753925 Members
8845 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to get info for local card via CPQLOCFG?

How to get info for local card via CPQLOCFG?

Basically I need to get information about the Rib/iLO card installed on the local machine, not remotely. But I need this information to be exported to a text file.

I've tried msinfo32.exe but it does'nt see the card for some reason. Is there a way to use the CPQLOCFG tool to run an xml file against the local card, regardless of it's name?
12 REPLIES 12

Hell I would settle for this:

Does the RIB/iLO card in anyway write it's name or serial number to the server it's attached to automatically?
Daniel Thrun
Valued Contributor

Greetings. You can use the GET command to get certain information from the RILO and then have your XML script parse out the info to a text file etc....

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locOsCat/69_75.html

This is the link to the latest software and samples for the RILO/RILOII/iLO

acartes
Honored Contributor

Try CPQLODOS from the SmartStart scripting toolkit (free download...). This can retrieve settings locally but might not be ideal as it is intended for deployment.
Matt Crawford_1

Well.. that wont work. I dont think booting to dos is an option. These servers can not be booted to dos just for this inventory.

I need a way to talk to the rib, to get the server name or some identifying mark of the server it is sitting in. I know there is a way to do this, insight manager gets the information. Hp, please help. This is a serious issue. How can we script if I can not get this simple, simple information.

What server the rib is sitting in. Or what rib name is installed on a server, either way.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

If you could share what it is you are really trying to accomplish, it might encourage some out-of-the-box thinking...

The short answer is that no, at this time, there isn't an easy way to do that. For security reasons, the iLO and the host are very loosely coupled.
Matt Crawford_1

How are they loosely coupled? Your insight manager seems to get the information just fine for most cards and the associated server.

Ok, the details of my project:

I am writing a dynamic inventory script, that goes through a user defined i.p. range to discover devices and information about them. These bits of information are then posted to a database. That database is used for a web administration/inventory reporting application. One of the features being, the ability to connect to a servers rib card by http://ribname

To get that rib name we would need a connection between the i.p. of the servers being queried and the attached rib devices name. So far, we have to name the rib cards rib-servername, BUT our servernames are going beyond your character limits for the cards name.

Does this help? If your Insight Manager tool can do it, why cant we. Also... why is the insight manager inconsistent with inventorying the relations of the servers with thier cards?
Michael Browne_1

I need to gather similar information and I may have a workaround. The management agents provide the ip address of the rib board which you could get via the snmputil resource kit utility or programmatically via socks api's :

snmputil walk ServerName Communitystring .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.9.2.5.1.1.5

Results would be similar to this

Variable = .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.232.9.2.5.1.1.5.2
Value = IpAddress 192.168.0.2

So from there you could parse the output and match up the ip.

The rib name OID is

.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.232.9.2.5.1.1.14.2

The mib itself can be found on the smartstart management CD or just search the net for CPQSM2.mib.
I can't see any other way to do this and obviously it's useless if the agents are down or the server is powered off.

acartes
Honored Contributor

HP just released a new utility, HPONCFG, for Windows and Linux that allows you to get and set iLO and RILOE II settings from the host-- not the network.

For some quirk of technology, it is not yet on the lights-out download page, but it is on the server support pages under lights out firmware. Go figure.

You can download it here:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/index.html

Navigate to Firmware - Lights-Out Management then HP Lights-Out Online Configuration Utility

Note: you must have the driver installed.
Note: you must have iLO 1.41 or later.
Note: you must have RILOE II 1.13 or later (not released quite yet).

It uses RIBCL scripts. You can download sample scripts in the archive "HP Lights-Out XML Scripting Sample" located here:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/lights-out/us/locate/69_5867.html
acartes
Honored Contributor

HPONCFG is now available on the lights-out download pages:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/lights-out/us/index.html

Locate "HP Lights-Out Online Configuration Utility"