Server Management - Remote Server Management
1751732 Members
5364 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to set Hostname in Remote Insight Board ?

Christoph Weber-Fahr
Occasional Contributor

How to set Hostname in Remote Insight Board ?

Hello,

i've got remote insight boards in numerous ML370 servers that usually run in remote unmanned locations.

Over time many of those machines have been reassigned for new tasks and conseuqently got new host names. They run Linux or FreeBSD without specific host drivers for the remote insight board.

But in the Remote Insight Web Interface I still see the original host name, and I don't see any way to change that. I could of course send a tech to each place and change them using the configuration CD, but that seems much too expensive and is also problematic because you would have to stop the application.

Is there any way to change the host name ("server name" on front page) displayed in the web interface remotely ? Either via the web interface or by using the xml/scripting engine ?
5 REPLIES 5
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

RILO II come with DNS Name. After logging on the RILO it is possible to change the same infomration.

Where as DNS name by default is RIB+Mac address for the RILO II

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Nick Pieramico
Occasional Contributor

I am also experiencing this issue, but have Windows servers running the remote insight board agents version 2.40. How can I get the server name to update? I am not talking about the DNS name - I am talking about the server name that shows up in the web page.

Thank you!
Christoph Weber-Fahr
Occasional Contributor

well, that issue is still unanswered.

I've mostly given up on getting even rudimentary help from hp on such issues - once you leave the blessed halls of their "supported operating system" they eseentially ignore you.

BTW - the issue is even worse with the numerous iLo inetrfaces we have in each of our DL380 servers. Here you cant even use the config software any more to set the host name, you must use windows drivers for that or forget it. All my iLos come up with "host is unnamed" and theers absolutely nothing we can do about it.

Well. Next time we choose a standard machine, this will be one of the points for HP to answer.
acartes
Honored Contributor

The server name is set when the HP ProLiant management agents are running on the host.

If the agents are not running, then "host is unnamed" is used. If the agents are stopped, then the last known host OS name is used.

There is not a way to set this field using other utilities. You could clear it by resetting the board to factory defaults.
Christoph Weber-Fahr
Occasional Contributor

hmm, thx for the answer.

So, is there some way to get those tools on the server temporarily ?

For iLo - does there exist a knoppix-like disk with those drivers I could remote-boot via iLo advanced ?

For RILOEII - is ther a diskette having
for remotebooting via riloeII that has the eisa setup and enough driver files to configure the iLo ?