Server Management - Remote Server Management
1753943 Members
9286 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

How to type \ in ILO if keyboard layout is non-US?

ajbrehm
Frequent Visitor

How to type \ in ILO if keyboard layout is non-US?

I just encountered an annoying issue.

When trying to log onto Windows Server Core via ILO using a local account, it is impossible to type a backslash if the server's keyboard layout is too foreign.

In my case it's a Swiss keyboard layout. Swiss keyboards apparently have a key between z and left-shift that (in combination with alt-gr, another special key on the Swiss keyboard) types \. My American keyboard doesn't have that key.

I tried:

1. Changing the keyboard layout in the console. This fails because ILO does not, apparently, send shift-alt through to the server.

2. Typing left-alt and 9 and 2 on the numberpad to get ASCII \. This fails because Server Core apprently doesn't support this handy input method. (It acts as if I pressed return.)

3. Using / instead of \.

4. Using @servername instead of servername\. (Obviously this didn't work.)

5. Using ILO hotkeys, which apparently cannot send foreign keycodes either. \ becomes $ (because a Swiss keyboard has $ where an American has \).

6. Calling a colleague with a Swiss keyboard. That worked, but is not practical at all hours.

How did HPE think this should work? What am I overlooking?

1 REPLY 1
MV3
HPE Pro

Re: How to type \ in ILO if keyboard layout is non-US?

Hi There,

I guess there is no other option left here, You will have to refer to the swiss keyboard.

Cheers

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo