1748038 Members
5223 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to use a script to power off and reboot a system using iLO

yugao
Occasional Advisor

How to use a script to power off and reboot a system using iLO

We have about 100 servers in a server room that isn't on the Data Center standard (it is a overflow room, our current DC is running out of power). The issue is that once a while the room get over heated and all the server were shut down. So we have to manually use ILO to reboot them one by one. anyone have any idea on how we can create a script that can power off a server remotely and power them back on using ILO? Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
pratap m keshava
Trusted Contributor

You can use CPQLOCFG utility to remotely execute XML scripts to Power_On/Power_Off servers. The utility can be downloaded from http://www.hp.com/servers/lights-out site, softwares and drivers link.

You can also download the sample scripts available in the same site for doing various other activites with iLO.

CPQLOCFG needs iLO and user credentials to execute. You can have dummy values inside the script and use command line parameters which will override the values inside the script for each server.

I have attached the Set_Host_Power.xml along with this message.
K Manahov
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

This is not working correctly. I have Bl 20 G3 and the ilo firmware is 1.91 with the latest Windows 2003 Extensions and Driver.
I ran the script I see in the ilo log that the power is set to off, but the server does not shut down.
acartes
Honored Contributor

Some good news and some bad news.

Good news:
The attached sample script shows how to force the host off. This is basically using the press-and-hold option. It is a modified "Set_Host_Power.xml" sample script.

Bad news:
If the host is off, it will turn it on. So it is not a "turn off" script per se.

Etc:
iLO 2 has addressed this with some scripting updates, but not iLO 1. See the Scripting and Command-Line guide for details.