108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ILO 4 and 5 NTP settings

Stefan_Matela
Occasional Contributor

ILO 4 and 5 NTP settings

Hello,

I have 2 questions:

- How can I check what's the status of ILO NTP synchronisation? Something like ntpq -p in Linux?

- There are NTP settings (not statuses) in ILO GUI under: iLO Dedicated Network Port->SNTP, is the same info available in ILO CLI eg. show /path_to_some_target?

10 REPLIES 10
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello ,

Please follow the below advisory for iLO commands

Simplivity Hyper-V - NTP Related Issues & Troubleshooting (Page no 4)

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=mmr_sf-EN_US000061591&withFrame

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Stefan_Matela
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

This document doesn't mention any ILO commands.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Please follow the below iLO 4 Command Line Guide

HPE iLO 4 Scripting and Command Line Guide

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Stefan_Matela
Occasional Contributor

Again. This document is not relevant. It doesn't tell how to check NTP synchronization status from ILO.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Stefan_Matela wrote:

Hello,

I have 2 questions:

- How can I check what's the status of ILO NTP synchronisation? Something like ntpq -p in Linux?

- There are NTP settings (not statuses) in ILO GUI under: iLO Dedicated Network Port->SNTP, is the same info available in ILO CLI eg. show /path_to_some_target?

THere is not a way to check sync status in the iLO itself.

I cannot find any mention of these setting in the SMASH CLI commands.  NTP settings can be shown, set, or changed using RIBCL.  

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
rgb99
Trusted Contributor

For everyone's edification, an example on how to set NTP via HPEiLOCmdlets, is:

$SntpServers = ,@("ntp1.domain.com,"ntp2.domain.com")
Set-HPEiLOSNTPSetting -Connection $connection `
	-DHCPv4NTPServer Disabled `
	-DHCPv6NTPServer Disabled `
	-PropagateTimetoHost Disabled `
	-Timezone "Atlantic/Reykjavik" `
	-SNTPServer $SntpServers

Pone
Occasional Visitor

Is there really no way to check NTP status on ILO? Are you supposed to just fill in an an adress and hope for the best? No way to know if the NTP server is availible, firewall correctly setup etc? There must be someything I am missing here., are you supposed to work on a different way with this?

rgb99
Trusted Contributor

Hope for the best? No, you should know what NTP servers are valid, internal or external. There is a large community that supports pool.ntp.org.

I haven't worked on HPE servers in a couple of years, but maybe they made changes or improvements in iLO 5 to test NTP connectivity.

Good luck to you.

Pone
Occasional Visitor

If you cant verify it I think it is the same as тАЭhope for the bestтАЭ. Who set up their environment and just assume it works? Maybe you could check firewall logs or if it is possible to see all NTP clients that syncs to the NTP server (closest NTP source is win 2019). But that is a strange way to verify.

We still only have ILO 4.

But if no one knows about this then I guess there really is no way for the ILO itself to tell you it is in sync.