1752533 Members
5232 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ILO not booting from DVD images

Martin K├╢gler
Occasional Contributor

ILO not booting from DVD images

Booting from a DVD (in the DVD drive)in the Virtual Media Applet works unter Linux. Also booting from CD sized images (<700MB) via the Virtual Media Applet succeeds.

If bigger images (eg 3GB or bigger) are selected in the Virtual Media applet, the server does not boot from it (it prints no error message) and as far as I have seen, the virtual CD is even not recognized by a Linux system.

The image itself is not corrupted, as it boots in a PC emulator (qemu) without any problems.

ILO Firmware version: 1.80
Server: DL 385
Client: Sun Java 1.4.2_04-b05 Plugin, Mozilla, Linux 2.6.8
4 REPLIES 4
acartes
Honored Contributor

Offically, DVD is not supported when using virtual media. This support is planned but there is no timeline yet.
Ross Minkov
Esteemed Contributor

DVD images are not supported by the iLO. You can only use CD images. And the CD images don't have to be less than 700MB. I've successfully booted larger images too.

-Ross
Gordon Terrell

Is there a file size limit for the iso image that ilo will support? I have been trying to hack up the fedora core 4 dvd and make a custom boot iso but have had little success with making it work with ilo.
Martin K├╢gler
Occasional Contributor

I assume, the limit is litle less than 2GB, as images >= 3GB do not work and (2^31)-1 is highest value of signed 32 bit integers. As real DVDs >3GB are working, the network protocol must support such big images and only the image handling code in the applet must use to small integers in some places.

I hope, that the next ILO fireware will include an updated virtual media applet, which support DVD images.