108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ILO2 FW 1.79 mays cause server restarts

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steven Baillie
Trusted Contributor

ILO2 FW 1.79 mays cause server restarts

Since upgrading my ilo2s to firmware 1.79 and number of servers have started to restart themselves.
I have checked event viewer and the last entry
before the reboot and it is an ilo2 error.

NetFN 0x4, command 0x2D timed out
NetFN 0x6, command 0x25 timed out
Failed GET SENSOR READING, sensor 5
Failed GET SENSOR READING, sensor 9

steven
11 REPLIES 11
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Re: ILO2 FW 1.79 mays cause server restarts

What server model are you taking this from? do you also have latest bios installed? as of ilo2 fw 1.70 there is a new feature thats called powercapping if ilo with power cap is used with out supported bios fw many wierd symptoms can show up.

And there is also a bug in psp 8.20 that can produce ilo errors..
Steven Baillie
Trusted Contributor

mostly bl480c servers
not all are running latest bios but I have been running with ilo firmware 1.77 for a while and no issues.

steven
acartes
Honored Contributor

There is a two-part solution to this issue:

1) update iLO 2 to v1.79 (or later)
2) Update the following driver to 1.11.2.0 (or later):

HP ProLiant iLO 2 Management Controller Driver for Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions

The driver is on the latest SmartStart and ProLiant Support Pack 8.30 as well as downloadable from hp.com.

Visit:
www.hp.com/support/bl480c
click your OS
Locate iLO 2 Management Controller Driver

acartes
Honored Contributor

The iLO firmware and driver combination update addresses a communication problem. One symptom was a bunch of duplicate event log entries in the OS event log. Another is the possible ASR if the communication is not restored.

Looking at the release notes for both iLO and the driver... This information is not clearly communicated.
acartes
Honored Contributor

Note: the Management Controller Driver for Windows (32 or 64-bit) should be updated. You should select the driver appropriate to the Windows installation.
acartes
Honored Contributor
Solution

Rich Kusak

I experienced the exact same behavior. iLO fw 1.77 worked for months without issue. Shortly after updating to 1.79 random server reboots started occuring. I just finished updating all the iLO Management Controller drivers to 1.12. Hopefully that does the trick.
JL123
Frequent Advisor

Hi there.

I upgraded all our servers to iLO 1.79 last Thursday and since then four of the servers have rebooted since then, the last event log is just saying the system has rebooted due to ASR.

Can anyone confirm that installing the 1.12.0.0 iLO2 Management Controller Driver (Currently we are on 1.11.0.0) will fix this issue? Otherwise i will b downgrading back to 1.78 firmware.
JasonLow_1

We are using iLO 1.79, iLO2 Management Controller Driver 1.12.0.0, iLO Management Interface Driver 1.15.

Our BL465c G5 servers are running fine using this set of driver/firmware.