3812 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ILO2 remote console hangs IE(8) when used from Windows 7

Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

ILO2 remote console hangs IE(8) when used from Windows 7

Hello

We are implementing Windows 7 and are testing our applications and I have noted a problem in ILO2. When we try to use integrated remote console, the ActiveX controller needs to be installed.

Once installed, you get the usual "black background" when it initializes, but instead of getting the console as in previous IE versions, all that happens is that IE8 stops responding and you need to terminate the process to proceed. Rather annoying since it terminates all IS sessions, not just the active ILO2.

Is this a known issue and does anyone have any input on what to do ?
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ILO2 remote console hangs IE(8) when used from Windows 7

I'll do the "Me Too" Thing here. I've been using the JVM Version of the remote console instead, which isn't as feature rich but gets the job done.

Failing that, I have a WinXP Virtualbox VM sitting on my desktp to deal with these annoying issues :)
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Thanks for the tip but it's not entirely accurate, since I'm not running any beta or rc but Win7 RTM and IE8 RTM, however it could still be unsupported and the same reason except for that I do not get the same error as shown in the advisory.

Anyway, I've found a "workaround" or halfways to a solution.

The problem is caused by the faulty ActiveX control in ILO2 firmware 1.77 or 1.78, which is probably not written for Windows 7, but upgrading to ILO2 firmware version 1.79 seems to solve part of the problem.

Meaning that if I have ILO2 fw 1.79 and acess the ILO directly IRC will work, but if I access ILO2 via the Blade enclosure menu it will still hang. My guess is that the Blade enclosure menu loads some other ActiveX control that still is not fully compatible, and that the OA maybe also needs updating, but so far that's a guess.

Anyway in short, ILO2 1.79 seems to works fine if accessing ILO2 directly and not via enclosure, when using Win7.