108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ILO3 upgrade resulting in ILO on one server no longer working

SOLVED
Go to solution
Neko-
Advisor

ILO3 upgrade resulting in ILO on one server no longer working

I've just finished upgrading the ILO3 on 12 machines from version 1.88 to 1,89 (something on a DDOS vunerability).

Eleven of the servers have properly updated, one has not, which is now reporting that the connection is now refused on both HTTP and SSH. Trying to connect based on the IP address, to preclude any issue in DNS. So I'm thinking the upgrade has failed in some way or form. Either that or the reboot of ILO hasn't pushed through normally.

The ILO IP address has been reserved in DHCP, and shown as being active, so the IP is leased to the appropriate device. The IP is pingable, so the device is up.

SSH just plain states the connection is refused (while the server next to it comes up with a proper 'Logon' prompt), and the HTTPS webpage fails with the notice that the page cannot be reached, with a INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND error in IE. Same happens in Chrome. (which reports ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED)

The update was done from the browser, by selecting the proper BIN file, so I know the ILO was reachable properly prior to the upgrade.

Being a host server for a couple of VM's on a non-Microsoft platform, my next step would've been to use the ILO tooling from the desktop to see about regaining access, but that option is out. While the hypervisor on there is based on Linux, I'm not versed sufficiently in Linux to trust myself to try with the Linux tooling to get the thing back into line. Plus that I'm unsure how adequate the Linux kernel for the hypervisor is to even be able to handle the HP ILO package.

Seeing the server is in a datacenter, any hands-on things we can do will have to be done during an on-site visit. But I'd rather have a set of possible things to try handy. Potentially I can see us powering down the machine, pulling the plugs (to force ILO off), and then reconnect to see if ILO will come back after a reboot. But any further ideas would be welcome.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own - Adam Savage
3 REPLIES 3
krasinka1409
HPE Pro

Re: ILO3 upgrade resulting in ILO on one server no longer working

What is the server model ? 

You could try reset iLO to factory defaults vie RBSU.  

Thank you
I am an HPE Employee
Neko-
Advisor

All ILO3 sets we have are active on the HP Proliant DL380 G7 platform.

A reset on boot through the ILO setup might also be an option, tho it seems as if the loading just didn't come through as intended. So the configuration may well be sound, just that the ILO doesn't manage to load what it's supposed to.

But thanks for the suggestion. It's appreciated.

Neko-
Advisor
Solution

Colleague was at the datacenter last Saturday and reset the server completely. In the upgrade ILO apparently lost it's license, and the reset helped regain access.

I re-added the license, and all seems to be well again. Thanks for the input rendered :)