Server Management - Remote Server Management
1748211 Members
4742 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Importing SSL Certificate AND Private Key?

alexs77
Occasional Advisor

Importing SSL Certificate AND Private Key?

Hello

We'd like to install proper (ie. signed by a normal CA) SSL certificates on our iLO 2, iLO 3 and iLO 4 systems. As there's a larger number of systems, we'd like to install a wildcard certificate, eg. *.ilo.company.fyi.

To do so, we'd also need to import the SSL private key on the iLO systems. How can I do that? The web interface just talks about importing a certificate and probably assumes, that the key is generated on the system when clicking "Create Certificate Request".

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot,

Alexander

17 REPLIES 17
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

If you follow this link you should see iLO documentation.  Look at theuser guide and the security brief for information about creating and importing SSL certificates

http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/solutions/info-library/index.aspx?cat=HP_iLO_4#.WI9WsU0zXDB

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
alexs77
Occasional Advisor

Hello Jimmy

Hm, neither in the Security Technology Brief nor in the User Guide, I can find information on how I can import a key.

Can you please be more specific?

Thanks,

Alexander

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The information starts on page 74 of the users guide and page 20 of the technology brief

alexs77
Occasional Advisor

Hi

Pardon, but where on page 20 of the brief does the documentation discuss how a private key can be imported? I'm just not finding it.

Again, could you be so kind and be even more specific?

Thanks
Alexander
alexs77
Occasional Advisor

hello again

I've just re-read pages 74-77 of the user guide, and I really don't find anything there, which relates to my specific question.

Can you please help?

Thanks a lot

Alexander
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

What I've pointed you to is how certificates can be installed in iLO. I don't think there is a way to install a private key.

alexs77
Occasional Advisor

Hello

Ah, okay. But honestly, that was a tremendously complicated way of saying "I don't know" and/or "HPE equipment doesn't support customers who need this functionality", don't you think? :-)

All this RTFM, for nothing ;-)

Regards
Alexander
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Sorry, I quickly glanced at your original message and thought you were asking how to import a certificate as that question comes up often.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Importing a private key isn't secure.  Usually you generate a CSR and get it signed and then import that.