Server Management - Remote Server Management
1752586 Members
4320 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is Virtual Media supposed to be this slow?

SOLVED
Go to solution
BDay
Frequent Advisor

Is Virtual Media supposed to be this slow?

I have a folder mounted to the server through iLO 2 w/firmware 1.78 and the best I'm getting is 366KB/sec with all machines and switchports set to 100/Full.

This is horrible. There's no way I can install an OS or even transfer files this way. I may as well walk down the hall and stick a USB key in. I've tried installing from USB at boot and also get pitiful performance.

Somebody please tell me I should be getting at least close too 100Mbit on this thing. Pretty please.

6 REPLIES 6
JKytsi
Honored Contributor
Solution

You can't. End of story.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
BDay
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for cutting out the fat and directly driving the stake through my heart. :P That's really a massive massive shame. I had high hopes for it.
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

No problem =) Same for all of us...

But You should really assign points to answers people provide to YOU (if those are helpful). So this forum stays alive.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
BDay
Frequent Advisor

Done, hadn't noticed that feature yet. :)
JonathanT
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, I too have had a stake driven through my heart on this one. So hopefully we can dive a little deeper and answer the question... what is the best practice for remotely installing software on blades when you're not present to hook up the DVD drive via the cable on the front of the blade? I've seen a raritan KVM that supposedly has virtual media.
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

I use either PXE or mount a .iso file with loopback in Linux. Never had to use iLO Virtual media.

You can modify the HP firmware or smartstart ISOs to make them PXE bootable, see this (long) thread: http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1007139