Server Management - Remote Server Management
1748232 Members
3401 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Is it possible to put iLO on a different network than the ethernet networks?

shlabhfu

Is it possible to put iLO on a different network than the ethernet networks?

Hi,

I tried it but it will not work. I use the eno1 with an address like 141.28.60.X and the eno2 with an address like 192.168.0.X. So if I use the iLO interface I can choose on which net I want to use it. Both could work. The 141.28.60.X is an internal network from "the company". The 192.168.0.X is only a network inside the room where the server is located. What I want to achieve is that I can receive the iLO interface with a 10.0.0.X address. So I used an HP 1810-8G ProCurve Switch. I configured that two ports could use a 10.0.0.X address. But if I plug in the ethernet cable to this ports I does not work. If I look inside the MAC table it is detected correctly. Do I need to do any special configuration with iLO? Or is it basically not possible to do what I have in mind? Does iLO have to be on the same network as the ethernet interfaces?

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Is it possible to put iLO on a different network than the ethernet networks?

Are you using a dedicated or shared NIC?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Anand1202
Advisor

I help operate many Generation 9 (DL380) iLO4 and Generation 10 (DL360) iLO5 servers and all have the iLO IP on one network and the OS IP(s) on another network. They are in most cases connected to different switches and there is no connection between the two network wise.

We thus have a seperate management network we use to access iLO.

ManBha
HPE Pro

Hello,

The iLO should not be in the same network as the server.

Please refer the below iLO configuration guide.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00026106en_us

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00020272en_us

Thanks.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> The iLO should be in the same network as the server.

Disagreed.

It is better practices to have the ILO on a separate management network because of security reasons.

From a technical point of view it doen't matter if ILO is on the same or on a different network.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!