1748204 Members
4281 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 G5 Lights out port forwarding

Samar
Occasional Advisor

sorry to be a pain. now I can access the web page interface to the Lights out via WAN, but still KVM/Virtual media is not working.
The web page can be accessed which means that the router is forwarding the ports all ok.
any other ideas. in fact I will upload the error message while using the applet soon.
thanks.
Florian Schott
Advisor

Samar, I think you are mixing something up. As KVM/Virtual media withing the web interface does not work (at least over the internet), the work around is to start the java applet not within the web interface but as a STAND ALONE APPLICATION just like word or notepad or paint with a double click directly on the applet. Firefox, IE, or any other web browser are not needed. In other words: Download my applet to the desktop and doubleclick it there. That's it!
Samar
Occasional Advisor

Hi Florian, Just wanted to thank you for your help. It works, is dead slow is very tempramental. for example sometime the virtual media works sometime doesnt.
Also I was thinking if i were to setup a webserver with Lights Out, and the web server being on port 80. is there way to change the listening port of the Lightsout card?

Have a great day mate.
Florian Schott
Advisor

Samar, Virtual KVM is dead slow, isn't it?
The lights-out card can be configured in bios and in its own web interface. Not sure if/where the access port can be changed.

Usually the lights-out card has a static ip address and the server nic has a different one. So you can swap the destination ip address for port 80 in the router depending where you want to be forwarded.

In an html server environment using port 80 where this might not be an option you can always remote control the server using vnc (e.g. ultravnc). Its standard port is 5900 but you can change it to any you please. And ultravnc is much quicker and more comfortable than Virtual KVM.

Hope this helps, Florian