Server Management - Remote Server Management
1752749 Members
4890 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: No more Remcons??

Robinpan

No more Remcons??

I've several DL380 G3s and G4s and we normally just telnet in and do a remcons to troubleshoot a Windows box not coming up after a reboot. The newer DL380 G5s and DL320 G4s don't seem to recognize this command. The web interface is nice, but I'd rather use the quicker telnet - plus I like using the shared-network port on the newer boxes and the web interface doesn't work for that.

Is there a newer command other than remcons?
1 REPLY 1
acartes
Honored Contributor

Re: No more Remcons??

iLO 2 text-mode remcons is different than first-gen iLO. Since the video capture mechanism is implemented differently, there is no longer "text mode" remote console from the command-line as there is in first-gen iLO.

Instead, I suggest using the virtual serial port. Access this from the iLO command-line using "VSP". For Windows OS, this should be enabled by default, but the EMS console redirection to the virtual serial port can be affected in host RBSU. VSP is also supported for Linux.
See the VSP HOWTO:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=101&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=397989

I also recommend using SSH instead of telnet. The performance is on par, and the traffic is encrypted.

All of these capabilities are supported on the iLO 2 Shared Network Port.