Server Management - Remote Server Management
1752812 Members
6035 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RDP passthrought iLO allows to open only one terminal session.

SOLVED
Go to solution
rugB
Occasional Advisor

RDP passthrought iLO allows to open only one terminal session.

It looks like I'm missing something in configuration, coz I can run only one terminal session using RDP passthrought iLO, but as we know it has to be available 2 sessions. Any idea, please?
13 REPLIES 13
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

????
RDP passthrough ILO is same as "mstsc /console".

You mean there can be two W2K3 remote administration sessions, but there can only be one console connection.
rugB
Occasional Advisor

Actually, you can be updated from this discussion: http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1238949
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

I think you pasted the wrong link.

It's not an ILO thing.
It's Windows that only accepts one RDP connection to the console.
Either directly using "mtsc /console" or using ilo passthrough
rugB
Occasional Advisor

to Pieter 't Hart: you're right it's wrong link. Here's correct one: http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=802551
Anyway, what I'm trying to do is to open 2 rdp connections through iLO and I can get only one. BTW: this session I get isn't console.
Thank you.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

thanks for the quick response

first windows 2k3 without licenses supports max. 2 RDP sessions.
This has nothing to do with ILO this is an W2K3 issue.
test if you can connect 2 RDP sessions without using ILO.

Maybe your current server is only configured for 1 session, either by a computer policy or terminal-server configuration.
start -> run -> mmc -> add snap-in -> terminal server configuration
see attached screen shot for maximum connections; here gray because of limit by policy. Try if yours is set to 1 and if you can change it to 2.

ILO RDP passthrough is used when you use the ILO interface for management. When opening the remote console from within ILO, the ILO internally connects to an RDP session of the server. Yes thats the console session, wich is within windows also a RDP session. so only one possible.

So what I think you want to do is connect two rdp sessions directly to normal networkport of the server, not to the ILO interface.
rugB
Occasional Advisor

The server isn't restrited to only one rdp connection, coz I can open this connection from other machine in the same with servers NIC LAN. I'll try to explain again. I have servers in some newtork segment that is unreachable from my corpnet, but I can connect to their iLOs via management network. So, I can connect with regular iLO remote console and I can connect with RDP passthrough iLO, but in the secound case I can open only one connection instead 2 "promissed": "You must comply with Microsoft├В┬о license requirements which are the same as connecting through the
server's NIC. For instance, when set for administrative access, Terminal Services does not allow more
than two connections, regardless of whether the connections are through the server's NIC or iLO or both."
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

As I explained before as far as i know the physical console is internally in W2003 treated as an RDP session.
When the physical console is logged in you can see this ession active.

The ILO RDP passthhrough connects to this session, so basically there can only be one ILO remote console active at a time.

I've never seen two ILO console sessions "promissed" by HP, but things change quickly in the IT world.
So after your post I encountered :

"With iLO 2 firmware version 1.30, multiple server administrators can even view and share control of the system console to collaboratively troubleshoot and administer ProLiant servers."
Be aware : this line does not specify RDP passthrough.

So for you to check :
- wich ILO boards does your servers have
- wich firmware version.
- please specify where you encountered the multiple rdp passthrough sessions in the HP-ILO documentation.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

You also need to check the ILO license type ande the server model

iLO Advanced ├в enables console sharing during pre-OS and OS runtime operation

iLO Select ├в enables standard remote console sharing on ProLiant ML/DL and BL servers as follows:

ProLiant BL servers ├в console sharing enabled for pre-OS and OS runtime operation.

ProLiant ML/DL servers ├в console sharing enabled for pre-OS operation only.

see : http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12362_div/12362_div.html
DA-12362 10 - Version 10 - May 2, 2008
rugB
Occasional Advisor

the current state is:
when I connected directly to console with iLO remote console, I can open rdp session (let's the first RDP session) and I see both iLO-console and the first RDP sessions in Terminal Services Manager, where iLO-console session in "console" and the firts RDP session is one of 2 available in administrative mode RDP sessions. Now if I open the secound RDP session from some machine connected to the server's LAN, I see 3 sessions: 1. iLO-console; 2. the first RDP session; 3. the secound RDP session.
In case I try to open the secound RDP session to iLO's IP address from my corpnet it fails. ???