108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remote Console on iLO standard

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jaime_39
Advisor

Remote Console on iLO standard

When I access the Remote Console via the web browser, the console screen will prompt me I will need to activate the iLO advanced license before using the Graphical Remote console.
How can I use the TEXT MODE Remote Console?

Also,when I do a server reboot/boot up, will I be able to see the server boot up process via telnet/Text mode remote console?
If yes, what is the command or how do i do that?
3 REPLIES 3
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

with iLO Standard you can view the POST of the server, and any text-based screen (e.g. ROM Setup Utility, the first part of Windows Setup). Just start the normal Remote Console.
As soon as the display goes to a graphical display, the iLO will not display anything and tell you that you need the Advanced Pack.

You can download a trial version of iLO Advanced Pack here:
http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/ilo/iloeval.html

Regards,
Stephen
acartes
Honored Contributor

>> How can I use the TEXT MODE Remote Console?
As Stephen said, this is available via the browser if the host is in a text video mode. This includes POST and command-prompts that are full screen (with some exceptions). iLO detects supported modes on the fly.

If you install the iLO Advanced evaluation license key, you can use the remote console in all modes for about 30 days from installation.

The text mode remote console is also available via telnet and SSH if iLO is configured to allow these. You may need current firmware for these features. To enable SSH, it should be enabled by default (check the Global Settings page). Use an SSH client like puTTY:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
and connect to iLO. The REMCONS command invokes the text remote console.

Note that if you upgrade iLO firmware, iLO will take 30 minutes (one time) before accepting an SSH connection.

Alternatives include:
- browser/applet for text remote console
- SSH client for text remote console
- telnet client for text remote console
- Use a serial console. In Windows, this can be EMS, in Linux, it can be TTY.
- Connect to the serial port to access iLO (on supported servers) using serial instead of LAN

>>will I be able to see the server boot up process via telnet/Text mode remote console?
Yes. Just establish one of the connection alternatives just discussed before rebooting the host.
Jaime_39
Advisor

Thanks guys!