1752290 Members
5120 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootState ... not working

PhS-
Regular Advisor

Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootState ... not working

Hello, I try to  "SecureBootState" Enabled on my HP Proliant G9 (ILO 4 2.60) using powershell

$iLOBIOSConnection  = Connect-HPEBIOS -IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -Username $ILOUsername -Password $ILOPassword  -DisableCertificateAuthentication
Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootState -Connection $iLOBIOSConnection -SecureBootState Enabled 

The output seems to be ok :

VERBOSE: Performing the operation "Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootState" on target "IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx".
VERBOSE: [Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootState] Executing the cmdlets with 1 task serially.
VERBOSE: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx : Validating the connection object.
VERBOSE: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx : Validating input parameters for Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootState.
VERBOSE: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx : Reading BIOS firmware data.
VERBOSE: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx : Checking whether the input parameters of Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootState are supported in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.
VERBOSE: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx : Checking dependency for the input parameters of Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootState in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.
VERBOSE: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx : Configuring Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootState with supplied input data in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

But at the server reboot on the iLO I can see the following :

Secure Boot.PNGAnd as a result SecureBoot is not Enable !!!

Can someone help ?

PhS

9 REPLIES 9
PiterParker
Valued Contributor

Hi, 

I know it is basic and probably you did it already, but have you tried to reset the settings to the default and or format NAND?

Regards, 

Piotr

PhS-
Regular Advisor

Hello Piotr,

what do you suggest I reset to default ? all the BIOS settings?

And about formating the NAND, no I didn't try ... how would it help, and is there a easy way to do so ?

Some context : we are using the command to enable Secure Boot on 52 servers DL380 Gen9 ... and none "respected" our command, they all "came back" after a reboot to SecureBoot DISABLE, without applying the " pending Bios setting "

PhS 

B_Rajesh
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for reportng this issue.

We can able to reproduce this issue at our end. It is a bug in Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootStatus.

As per BIOS REST schema, the SecureBootStatus property is readyonly, So, you cannot set the same using Set-HPEBIOSSecureBootStatus cmdlet.

Download and Install our REST cmdlets from PowerShell Gallery. 

Install-Module -Name HPRESTCmdlets -Verbose

Use RESTCmdlets to configure the Secure Boot as below.

PS C:\> $iLORESTConnection = Connect-HPREST x.x.x.x admin admin123 -DisableCertificateAuthentication

PS C:\> $SecureBootPayload = '{ "SecureBootEnable": true }'

PS C:\> Set-HPRESTData -Session $iLORESTConnection -Href 'rest/v1/Systems/1/SecureBoot' -Setting $SecureBootPayload

Note: The value for property SecureBootEnable cannot be changed while the computer system BIOS is in POST.

Thank you

Regards
Rajesh Balakrishnan
I am a HPE Employee
PhS-
Regular Advisor

When I try to connect to the iLO using REST

$iLORESTConnection  = Connect-HPREST -Address $IiLOREST $ILOUsername $ILOPassword  -DisableCertificateAuthentication

I get the following error

Convert-JsonToPSObject : The script failed due to call depth overflow.
At PowerShell Modules\HPRESTCmdlets\1.2.0.0\HPRESTCmdlets.psm1:1782 char:34
+ ... ertedPsobject = Convert-JsonToPSObject -JsonString $jsonStringRemProp
+                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (0:Int32) [Convert-JsonToPSObject], RuntimeException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CallDepthOverflow,Convert-JsonToPSObject

PhS-
Regular Advisor

Any chance to get help from someone ?

Mimault Philippe
Occasional Advisor

Hello

Have you find a solution? I have the same problem..

I have update to SPP2018.09, IP with 2.70B, but always this error with Connect-HPREST:

Convert-JsonToPSObject : The script failed due to call depth overflow.
At C:\MSDEV\Powershell\ESXSAPHANA\HPRESTCmdlets\HPRESTCmdlets.psm1:1782 char:34
+ $convertedPsobject = Convert-JsonToPSObject -JsonString $jsonStringR ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (0:Int32) [Convert-JsonToPSObject], RuntimeException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CallDepthOverflow,Convert-JsonToPSObject

Vijay_B
HPE Pro

Hi Philippe,

We have not been able to reproduce this issue in the lab. I have sent you an email to get more information about this issue. 

Thank you,

Vijay Bhojwani

I am a HPE Employee
Stingrey

Was there ever a solution? I've the same error too.

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Stingrey,

Thank you for posting! You might want to consider creating a new topic by utilizing the "New Discussion" button, as this will not only enhance visibility compared to the old topic but also boost your chances of receiving responses from experts.

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo