1752278 Members
5146 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Trouble getting serial access to iLO working

SOLVED
Go to solution

Trouble getting serial access to iLO working

On my DL380 with RedHat 7.3, I've installed the latest hprsm and I've been able to configure the iLO using `hponcfg'. In particular I have been able to set:

but hitting ESC ( on the serial port doesn't get iLO's attention, as I think it should, from reading the manual.

I have BIOS serial redirection turned on, and Linux is also using the serial port. I don't know if this makes a difference. What I want is to interrupt Linux's use of the serial port to get iLO's attention. You know, like on a Sun. :-)

I hope there is a way to do this without rebooting, since I'd like to do it on 500 machines. I'm pretty pleased that I was able to get this far (upgrading hpasm, firmware upgrade of iLO, reconfigure iLO) without a reboot!
4 REPLIES 4
acartes
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Trouble getting serial access to iLO working

The serial access to iLO is disabled on DL380G3 hosts with CPUs slower than 3.06GHz (533MHz front side bus). This is to prevent a possible host lockup when using "esc (" to get iLO's attention.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Please try it on a host with 533Mhz FSB (3.06Ghz +) or on a different server and let us know your results.

Thanks for the answer!

Unfortunately, of our ~550 DL380s, about 5 have CPUs 3.06 GHz or faster. So if you are correct I am screwed. :-(

Do you know whether this is a temporary condition that will be fixed in a future BIOS or iLO?
acartes
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, the feature was disabled because a hardware problem was discovered. It cannot be fixed with a software update.

Well, HP officially confirmed what you've told me. (I opened a case with them around the same time as this thread.) Sigh. Oh well.