1748165 Members
3828 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to mount an iso with iLO3 1.25 firmware

Dennis-L
Occasional Contributor

Unable to mount an iso with iLO3 1.25 firmware

When i try to mount an iso with the 1.25 firmware it will fail with the following error:

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

There is no error when i mount an iso with firmware 1.20.
15 REPLIES 15
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Mine works fine.

Are you using .NET Remote Console or Java Remote console? What OS are you running in your client?

I am using the NET Remote Console on Windows XP (IE 8)
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Please use WireShark to capture a network trace between the .NET Remote Console running on your client PC and iLO3. Then attach the file to this thread.
You can limit the capture to TCP port 17988 traffic.

I recently upgrade to the 1.25 firmware, and had the same issue.  After attempting several different fixes, resetting the ILO from the web administrator page seems to have corrected the problem for me.

The wireshark logs showed the server containing the .iso file was attempting to communicate with the ILO IP address, but was not getting an ACK.  After the reset there is two way communication.

I hope this is helpful,

Howard

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

We recently found and fixed a bug where the thread listening to TCP port 17988 could randomly crash. The fix has been added to iLO3 version 1.26. Let me know if you guys would like to test a beta.

I would like to test the beta

whitebum
Occasional Visitor

Any chance of the beta i have the exact same issue and need to deploy a new blade. :)

Tim Kay
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I would like to try the beta version too please as I am sick of having to have system boards replaced and was convinced that there was more to it.  I am glad you say that an issue has been found.  I did some testing and whatever listens on port 17988 works until I try to mount an image and then I can no longer telnet to the port.

Thanks

Tim

Tim Kay
Occasional Visitor

I think I may have found a workaround to this issue.  It has worked on three seperate blades so far.

- Shut the blade down

- Reset the iLO

- Mount the virtual media as normal

- Start the server

The virtual media then works.

What I have found is if you telnet to the iLO IP on port 17988, you should get a blank screen (as normal with telnet) and then whatever key you press, it should immediately jump back to the command prompt.  If it doesn't, it has hung and you won't be able to mount media.  The next time you try connecting using telnet, it will timeout altogether.

Thanks

Tim