1747976 Members
3504 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to use Virtual on 9(!) KVM DL140G3

ThomasR_1
Occasional Contributor

Unable to use Virtual on 9(!) KVM DL140G3

Since about a month I'm not able to use VKVM on 9 out of my 10 DL140G3s anymore.
I have iLO 100i Advanced and run firmware version 2.12.
The error message returned (sometime I actully can see the Windows console GUI already before the error pops up) is
Remote KVMS Viewer
You have been disconnected
(see attached screenshot)
The problem can not be Java version and/or IE version related, because for the 10nth DL140G3 I'm (still) able to connect using the same IE/Java environment.
I've no clue what what userid at that level is requested.
Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks
Thomas
8 REPLIES 8
acartes
Honored Contributor

I suggest that you call this into support and get a case assigned to it to escalate the investigation. Then keep us posted on what they find out!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

"The problem can not be Java version and/or IE version related, because for the 10nth DL140G3 I'm (still) able to connect using the same IE/Java environment."

yes but working in this environment I think servers are like people almost I would say every server is different

I can tell Proliant support pack has issues with some Dl380 G5s for example but sometimes there is no issues sometimes is a headache

and a lot of examples I can say

- so my first recommendation would be try updating firmware there is available 2.13 (Nov 20, 2007) 2.12 is from (Jan 9, 2007)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3285485&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1842838&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005#2926

- so also just in case try another clients (PCs)

try that and let us know
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
studerje
Advisor

I am having this problem as well.
I get logged into the web page but when the KVMS launches I get the bad username/passwd error.
very frustrating.
Dave Ennis

I am also having problems with the 100i vKVM on our DL140G3 servers. All other iLo functionality works but when I select vKVM the java window opens but has no available buttons, they are all greyed out. I have an open call with HP but they have been very little help so far. We have firmware 2.12 on the servers now, is there a possibility that updating to 2.13 might solve this?

Thanks,
David Ennis
acartes
Honored Contributor

Please try these steps and report on your results:

With the browser closed:
If you see the error "java.lang.unsatisfiedLinkError:findFirstDrive"
Please delete the following DLLs and the Jar file from your local (client) machine, which will fix the problem.

"mahogany_w32.dll and mahogany-plugin.jar" (Windows OS)
- right click on My Computer -> click on Search -> type FileName
- Delete the file

Then try connecting again, it will probably fail. After that it should work.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

a friend of mine and uninstall all java instances from Add/remove program ans install this one and it worked

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp
JDK 5.0 Update 15

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
ThomasR_1
Occasional Contributor

Just a final update on this:

Installing firmware 2.13 fixed the problem on all 10 machines.
It has nothing to do with Java Runtime versions (works for me now with all available versions) or the version of IE (means does also work with all Internet Explorer versions).

Its nevertheless rather odd (to say it mildly) that this is NOT documented anywhere in any official HP doc (or the firmware Readme).

The fact that this firmware update can ONLY be installed on servers (having Virtual KVM and suffering from the invalid login/password problem) when connecting a physical keyboard and a monitor is just ridiculous.
I thought the VKVM is the (expensive) tool to just not having to connect any physical devices (like mice, keyboards and videos), especially to servers in a rack where there is no space and physical access rather limited.

On the other side the above does 100% match all other support experiences we had with our 10 DL140G3s over the last 2 years.

In most cases the HP argument was just "yes, but these are low cost servers".
So are these servers not supposed to work or be supported?

If the forum moderator believes, that the above is inappropriate for the forum he should feel free to wipe out my personal comments and just keep the technical information.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor