Server Management - Remote Server Management
1752377 Members
6569 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Using iLO license key turns on two-factor auth?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nate Sternberg

Using iLO license key turns on two-factor auth?

I have several Proliant servers running iLO firmware 1.43. Once, I needed to access the graphical remote console, so I entered an eval license key. I did my work, and logged off.

But apparently, entering the license key also turns on two-factor authentication (?!) So now when I attempt to log back in, it requests a cert, but I haven't uploaded any certs to trust. So I appear to be locked out. So my questions are:

1) Is there any way to get back in to the server, other than flipping the security override switch on the chassis?
2) Is this really how it's supposed to work (entering an eval key activates two-factor auth)? Or is something else going on that's turning it on?
4 REPLIES 4
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Using iLO license key turns on two-factor auth?

acartes
Honored Contributor

>> But apparently, entering the license key also turns on two-factor authentication (?!)

2-factor requires a license key, but a license key does not activate the support without prior configuration.

>> Is there any way to get back in to the server, other than flipping the security override switch on the chassis?

Karlo pointed-out some options. However the network-based method for RIBCL is closed if 2-factor is active, so that may not be an option.
Nate Sternberg

Thank you Karlo and acartes! Hitting F8 during the boot process and disabling 2-factor auth from the console worked.

acartes, it's strange that entering an activation key is not supposed to enable 2-factor auth. It seems to do so quite reliably for me. Can settings like that get set to "on" even before the feature is activated? If so, that might explain my case...
acartes
Honored Contributor

>> Can settings like that get set to "on" even before the feature is activated? If so, that might explain my case...

I would guess that some deployment scripts are being run that are installing 2-factor parameters. This setting is inert until a license key is later installed.