108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Very slow RILOE remote console with Windows 2003

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrew Lupton
Advisor

Very slow RILOE remote console with Windows 2003

Hope someone can help. We have 6 servers all with the same RILOE, version 2.53a firmware. 2 Compaq DL380's, 2 DL 360's, a PL1600 and an 1850r. All the boxes (at the console) have been lowered to 800x600 256 colors. Windows 2000 consoles respond just great. The Windows 2003 consoles are so darn slow they are literally unusable except in a real emergency. Is this just a Windows 2003 problem or an inherent incompatibility with the Remote Insite Lights Out Board with Win2K3? (Dropped the client from Java 1.4.1 back to 1.3.1 and this got the consoles working when they showed blank gray screens before...) Still performance is really poor. Any ideas???
5 REPLIES 5
acartes
Honored Contributor

The performance with Windows 2003 consoles and RILOE boards suffers. The issue is not with the client machine or the server hardware.

My only suggestion is to reduce the server console resolution to (640x480x16).
Andrew Lupton
Advisor

Hmm.. that would seem to indicate a Windows 2003 video display driver issue then which is what I sort of suspected originally. I found that under the video settings if you select Advanced and Display All Modes, that you can scroll ALL the way to the bottom to find 800x600x16 and 640x480x16. I tested both of these and they made no difference in performance over 800x600x256. Has to be a Win2K3 driver issue. I really wish HP/Compaq would head back to the lab and sort this one out for us. Lots of folks upgrading older platforms to Win2K3 because they just keep on ticking!
Rosco_1
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Win 2003 causes this problem for sure.

You need to do, if you haven't already,

1. Disable Mouse Shawdow under Control Panel / Pointers

2. Move the Display Hardware Acceleration to max. To do this right click on the desktop and select Display Properties \ Settings \Advance \ Troubleshoot and then move the Hardware Acceleration to Full.

If you've not dones this already, you'll be very happy with the results.

r.
Rosco_1
Frequent Advisor

p.s. Also ensure the firmware is as mondern as poss, on a RILOE 2.53 is cool.

Andrew Lupton
Advisor

Outstanding. Yes, that seems to help considerably! Still need to run it in 800x600x16 mode for best performance but the hardware acceleration did the trick!
Thanks for the suggestion!