Server Management - Remote Server Management
1753606 Members
6156 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: dl360 g5 ilo shared nic port - (still) not working

anthony askew_1

dl360 g5 ilo shared nic port - (still) not working

I have a requirment to use the ILO port on my dl360 in Shared port mode. I noticed that there were issues regarding the use of this functionality in an earlier firmware revision so I upgraded to latest (1.35) and the server still hangs at boot (just after the array controller has spun up) when I select "shared network port". The server behaves properly, ie boots and installs OS fine when ILO is in native ILO only config, however i could really use the extra port the shared port would give me.

are there any tips or Best practices as to how to configure the shared port, ie No DHCP, as I can't find anywhere a config guide for the ILO.....

thanks

anthony
5 REPLIES 5
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

iLO in shared network port mode doesn't give you an extra NIC to use. When in shared mode the iLO traffic is shared over one of the embedded NIC ports

From the iLO QuickSpecs page
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12362_na/12362_na.html

Integrated Lights-Out 2 provides a choice between two network connection methods to access all functionality

Dedicated connection -

Access iLO 2 via an embedded 10/100 MB Ethernet NIC dedicated to iLO 2. This enables remote management over a dedicated, out-of-band management network. In-band SNMP notification of server problems on a real-time basis is also supported without separate telephone connections or modem sharing devices. The dedicated NIC can auto-select speeds between 10 Mbps and 100 Mbps.

Shared Network Port -

On selected ProLiant server models, iLO 2 supports network connectivity through a new high-speed shared connection via one of the embedded system NICs. Shared network port provides full accessibility to all iLO 2 functions including browser, Virtual Media and Virtual KVM in graphic mode. iLO 2 maintains a unique IP address and MAC allowing the network controller to route iLO 2 and host data correctly. With the new Shared Network Port, out-of-band management and production data can share the same wire eliminating the separate network connection for each server.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
acartes
Honored Contributor

There is available information on the application of iLO Shared Network Port in a white paper available from the page with iLO documentation.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=101&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=397989

Seek the whitepaper called, "Planning and configuration recommendations for Integrated Lights-Out processors" and check out the sections around Figure 1 and Figure 2.

Figure 2 specifically guides you through assessing the network connectivity.
Bud Rapanault

I too am looking for a specific istallation/implementation guide for the ILO2 shared port mode on a dl360 g5. Is there is or is there ain't such an animal? No white papers please. Thanks,

Bud
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Bud, there isn't a specific paper for the DL360G5, doesn't need to be one. The iLO shared port is the same on all ProLiant servers that support the feature. Go into RBSU and enable the iLO shared network port. Now the host OS and iLO traffic are on the same NIC

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I need to update my last response, a few ProLiant servers have an option in RBSU Advanced Options to enable the shared iLO port. Most ProLiant servers, you enable the shared network port in the iLO settings by either hitting F8 during POST to access the iLO settings, or configure the shared port through the iLO web interface. The option is listed under Network > NIC & TCP/IP, toggle the Network Interface Adapter setting to Shared Network Port. iLO will now share the NIC labeled NIC 1 with host OS.

This is all documented in the iLO2 users guide starting on page 64

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00553302/c00553302.pdf