5730 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iLO 2 standard - remote console and text mode linux

Stefan Winter
Occasional Contributor

iLO 2 standard - remote console and text mode linux

Hi,

some of our recently-bought ProLiants have iLO 2 on board. With iLO 1, when a server running Linux was in text mode (kernel option vga=normal) remote console worked beautifully.

Now with iLO 2, even when in text mode, iLO 2 insists that an Advanced license is required to view this *GRAPHIC* mode. But it isn't graphic, it's 80x25 text based, and the very same config worked fine in iLO 1.

Is this a bug in iLO 2 or is it just a clever marketing move to make people buy advanced licenses?

Stefan Winter
15 REPLIES 15
ramesh_naik_
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Stefan,

What is the Proliant server with the ILO 2 we are talking?
The ProLiant p-class BL servers include the advanced license key.
Press Enter when prompted for a license on a blade server; otherwise, the XML script will not be executed on the designated server.

To configure the availability of the Remote Console port, complete the following steps:
1. Log on to the iLO management device using an account that has supervisor status.
2. In the Administration section,
├в ┬в For iLO, click Global Settings then click Access.
├в ┬в For iLO 2, click Settings then click Access.
3. In the Remote Console Port Configuration section, click the appropriate option.

Hope this answers!!!!!

Regards,
rmn
Stefan Winter
Occasional Contributor

This is a DL380G5 - without an Advanced license.

But my point was: it used to work in iLO 1 _without_ an Adanced license. So I thought it still should work on iLO 2 without an Advanced license.
Stefan Winter
Occasional Contributor

This is a DL380G5 - without an Advanced license.

But my point was: it used to work in iLO 1 _without_ an Adanced license. So I thought it still should work on iLO 2 without an Advanced license. For the record, I verified the settings you mentioned and it didn't change anything.
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Hello Stefan,

Ilo 2 Standard supports Remote Text Console.

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/ilo2/index.html
Model comparison Chart.

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/ilo2/questionsanswers.html#b1
What iLO 2 Standard features are included with the purchase of a ProLiant server?

SRH
acartes
Honored Contributor

First-generation iLO supports text mode standard and requires iLO Advanced for graphical remote console.

iLO 2 supports POST standard, and requires iLO Advanced for remote console otherwise. (Blade servers have remote console as a standard capability).

You will also note that iLO 2 does not support a "remcons" command from the command-line interface (SSH). This is because iLO 2 acquires the host console in a different way, in which there is no "Graphics" mode or "text" mode.

If you want a text console for Linux, assign a tty to the virtual serial port. You can access the VSP from the browser or from SSH through the command-line interface.

For details, visit:
www.hp.com/servers/lights-out, pick your product, select Support & Documents, then Manuals.
View "Integrated Lights-Out Virtual Serial Port configuration and operation HOWTO."
Stevenp63

Seriall console only works once the os is installed, and we loose a lot of visual cues that are only available via the real console.

This is also does work for installationpurposes, as there is no serial console for it.

Any help

Steven
acartes
Honored Contributor

Also examine the host RBSU setting for BIOS Serial Console Port. This can be configured so that text-mode writes using BIOS interrupts (i.e., POST and DOS) can be captured and routed to the iLO virtual serial port.
Stevenp63

Question our ILO1 on the G1's worked
just fine for our text console based purposes, but the new
G2's, and the forcing of ILO2, I'm unable to find a text mode any ideas

Steven
acartes
Honored Contributor

In systems with iLO 2:
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/remotemgmt/supported-servers.html
The remote console is accessed using a browser and launching the Integrated Remote Console or the Remote Console applets.

You will not see an explicit "text mode" for remote console listed.