4821 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iLO IP to Ethernet IP

N Emp
Occasional Advisor

iLO IP to Ethernet IP

Hi All,

If I know the IP of the ILO interface is there any way to get the IP of the corresponding ethernet interface without logging in...

irrespective of the OS on the server... or if there are different ways for linux and windows... i would like to know both...

please help.. long been stuck at this problem.. :(

Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

well...

maybe you could get the MAC of the iLO interface as you have the IP and then maybe the Ethernet interface MAC 'always' has a MAC that is one lower or one higher, and then you can find out the IP via that? :p I don't know if it even works like that, just pure speculation. May be that the MAC addresses vary a lot because they are not from the same manufacturer..

why don't you want to log in?
what about the console-part of iLO? would that do?
N Emp
Occasional Advisor

Hi Johan,

Thanks for the suggestion... I will look into it... though i am not very much sure if that will work...

1. I dont want to login :- Because, not everyone will have access to the iLO (management) interface... suppose i dont have login ID and other credentials to login but i can via ethernet...

2. about the iLO console :- what can i do with that? if there is a way.. it can be discussed.. can u please share if u got some clue?

Thanks.
N Emp
Occasional Advisor

Hi Johan,

I cannot get the MAC address from the IP address....

1. The workstations are on different subnets than of the server...
2. The only way to get MAC from the IP (as far as my knowledge), is to ping the IP and check the ARP cache.

But this works only if the workstation and the server for which MAC is being seeked are on the same subnet... otherwise the ping request goes through the gateway and the arp cache will have the gateway IP and MAC instead of the server we are looking for... :(

But, thanks for trying to help!

Any other idea?
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

2. I think you have to log in to the console interface as well anyway.

Maybe it's possible to find by querying the DNS or DHCP server? Or if you have access the ethernet switch it may be possible to find it that way.
N Emp
Occasional Advisor

Hi Johan,

For accessing the ethernet interface i must know the IP.. thats the whole point!

Sitting in US i would not know which ethernet IP belongs to the ethernetport of the Proliant... though i can find the iLO Ips on the subnet using namp and curl...

suppose i have iLO login and i am able to enter the console.. any idea how to get the ethernet IP then?

I tried doing something with command line on the iLO.. but i failed :(

thanks again...
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Are you sure it has a TCP/IP address? :)
No idea about what subnet or name of the server?

What version if iLO do you have? Have you looked in the user manual / guide?

Google provided this:
http://setaoffice.com/2010/07/17/connecting-to-hp-ilo-using-the-command-line/
N Emp
Occasional Advisor

Hi Johan,

1. Yes, it is a TCP/IP address. :)

2. No.. no idea about the name of the server. We know the subnet of the iLO IP addresses, but not of the ethernet port...

3. version of iLO.. well.. we have 100s of servers, so we have all iLO, iLO2, iLO3 with varying ranges of the firmware version of each... and yes, i have looked into the user manual :(

4. about the link.. i have tried this already... i logged into the iLO command line interfaces.. but the various commands that i could run from this CLI, could give me details only of the iLO and not of the ethernet... or may be i am not aware of any such commands... I thought this could be a possibity if i can find the command that can solve my purpose....

Thanks a ton for all ur effort! :)
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

OK, well if you have that many servers, have you tried to install HP SIM and let it run a discover?
N Emp
Occasional Advisor

No, I haven't tried that yet... may be i will have to do it now...

but u know how it is.. investing in a new software.. i mean the money... its not that easy to get things done from higher management!

lets see... if nothing works out.. will have to think about that...

but are u sure... SIM would work this out?